Sysprep - "Failure occurred while executing drmv2clt.dll" - Fix

U

UkonCornelias

I don't usually have problems running sysprep, but the first time I ran it on a Windows 7 (BETA Ultimate 32bit) PC I received an error that Sysprep could not continue and was halted. I went to c:\windows\system32\sysprep\panther and opened the setuperr.log file. (Actually, Windows won't let you open this file (!) so copy it out of this directory, then open it.) There was not much in the file, just a few lines referencing drmv2clt.dll.

2009-04-20 13:37:55, Error [0x0f0082] SYSPRP LaunchDll:Failure occurred while executing 'drmv2clt.dll,Sysprep', returned error code -2147024864[gle=0x00000020]
2009-04-20 13:37:55, Error [0x0f0070] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:An error occurred while running registry sysprep DLLs, halting sysprep execution. dwRet = -2147024864[gle=0x00000020]
2009-04-20 13:37:55, Error [0x0f00a8] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep cleanup providers; hr = 0x80070020[gle=0x00000020]

I searched the MS KB, and sadly, could find nothing. Then I Googled some of the above and found a couple of references to this. They mentioned that drmv2clt.dll is associated with Digital Rights Management and this error in Sysprep could be fixed by disabling Media Sharing in Windows Media Player. That seemed odd. This Windows 7 PC was setup just to test Sysprep and imaging. We didn't even start or configure Windows Media Player. I also had no idea how to disable Media Sharing in Media Player?? This time I went to Windows Help and searched it, but sadly, it too had no information. I once again Googled this and found out how to disable Media Sharing in Media Player. It is a service that is configured to automatically start at boot up.

Click Start > Run, type Services.msc to open the Services applet.
Scroll down to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service, double click it, change the Startup type to Disabled. Click OK.
Reboot the PC

Once I did this, I re-ran Sysprep (sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:sysprepdomainWin7.xml) and it ran without error.

Seems like a sysprep bug. I don't think this is a Win7 thing since the fix for this I read was from a BDD 2007 document. Oh, and if you want to know how to fix problems in Windows, use Google.

Continue reading...

Back