Sysprep - Fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep the machine

R

rosenstc

On the 4th attempt to sysprep a Windows 7 Enterprise system, I get the dreaded, 'A fatal error occurred while trying to sysprep the machine.'
The setuperr.log shows:
2010-08-04 13:57:58, Error [0x0f0073] SYSPRP RunExternalDlls:Not running DLLs; either the machine is in an invalid state or we couldn't update the recorded state, dwRet = 31
2010-08-04 13:57:58, Error [0x0f00ae] SYSPRP WinMain:Hit failure while processing sysprep cleanup external providers; hr = 0x8007001f

I've seen articles referring to the Windows Software Licensing Rearm program may have issues running more than three times in a single Windows image and to add <SkipRearm>1</SkipRearm> in the /unattend file... but this did not help. The Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service has also been disabled which is often referred to in other posts.
The KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947212/en-us indicated that the resolution is to re-create the image for the machine... This is very frustrating. I'm hoping that there is a better resolution???
How do you sysprep a machine more than three times to avoid this error?
Thanks!!

Continue reading...

Back