Tranny Question

bvet4dog

mmhmm bacon!
I've been reading up some people's comments on the org about common tranny issues for 06+. I did not know this and my bike seems to be running smoothly as it should.

I've never had a tranny failure in the past, what are the signs that i could look for. Far as i know, i don't see any metal shavings in the oil when i change it. Also I've been using Rotella oil for both sides along with Tusk oil filter.

Realistically, what are the chances for my tranny to go bad, considering i use the clutch all of the time and rarely let other people ride my toy.

with a stock motor or just the HRC kit and a pipe i wouldnt worry too much. one common sign is when you are cruising in gear and get on the gas and it just pops out of gear then when you let off it goes back into gear. that is from the dogs on the gears being worn and the gears are slipping as a result. once that happens you have to replace the gears. also good idea to harden and maybe backcut the new gears.
there is also a billet gear set but thats $1900!!

My tranny will actually downshift from 4th to 3rd if I get on the gas.. Sometimes it will totally skip 4th and go right to 5th, when I shift from 3rd to 4th...

Never had any issues with my 06+ machines when they had just hrc kits, when i added other mods thats when the trans starting going south and fast

Don't worry about it, just enjoy the ride! You more than likely won't have a problem for a long time. It sounds like you ride pretty sensibly which is good. Keep using the clutch, change oil frequently and don't worry about it till it's broke.

Awesome, that's great to hear! my only plans are full exhaust and either an older hrc cam / crf cam or a hot cam stage 2. That's pretty much the only mods i will be doing. Waiting on the suspension and i'm about to install my new carrier and axle. Just gotta figure out how to get the friggin sprocket off the stock axle. It's stock and the bolts wont budge at all. the bolts are soaking up in pb blaster for a bit as i type this haha

I might have a chance to ride before snow comes but i'm not getting my hopes up.

If you have no issues now then just use the clutch and keep the tranny oil clean. If it starts to get stuck in gear or pop out then gears are starting to wear.....but it could still last years before it goes boom!

my tranny on my 06 never went out yet and I've had it since new. and the last 4 of those years my engine is a +60hp 490 and still no problem.... but then again I don't slam gears at the rev limiter.

just ride it and stop worrying.

55+HP 07 ER and I never had a issue with the tranny. I did have alot of false neutral shifts thou, but the GT Thunder shift shaft spring resolved 90% of that.

I've been thinkin about the spring but I haven't had issues with mine since back cut. The problem with the transmissions are the dogs that wear fast on the contact edges which allow slipping out of gear, missed shifts and skipped shifts. Power does affect the rate of wear but generally it's the shifting habits of the rider (obviously mx will cause rapid wear).

The last engine I bought was nothing more than a stock engine with a stage two and a pipe. The dogs on most gears were absolutely hammered and I had a hard time believing the guy telling me everything worked and shifted perfectly!

Back