Veterans' Day

Old Salt

I got this from another site I belong to (NTWS). It was written by a retired Navy Captain I worked for between 1990-93.

Veterans Day? World War I ? known at the time as ?The Great War? - officially ended when the Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919, in the Palace of Versailles outside the town of Versailles, France. However, fighting ceased seven months earlier when an armistice or temporary cessation of hostilities, between the Allied nations and Germany went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. For that reason, November 11, 1918, is generally regarded as the end of ?the war to end all wars.?

In November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day with the following words: "To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country?s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations?"

On June 1, 1954, November 11th became Veterans Day -- a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

The Uniform Holiday Bill was signed by President Johnson on June 28, 1968. The bill was intended to ensure 3-day weekends for Federal employees by celebrating four national holidays on Mondays: Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, and Columbus Day.

It was quite apparent that the commemoration of Veterans Day was a matter of historic and patriotic significance to a great number of our citizens, and so on September 20th, 1975, President Ford signed a statute into Public Law returning its annual observance to its original date of November 11, beginning in 1978.

Veterans Day continues to be observed on November 11, regardless of what day of the week on which it falls. The restoration of the observance of Veterans Day to November 11 not only preserves the historical significance of the date, but helps focus attention on the important purpose of Veterans Day: A celebration to honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

As a veteran, I wish to sincerely thank all my fellow veterans who have selflessly made, and continue to make the sacrifices necessary to keep us safe and secure through their voluntary service to our country.

To all those currently serving, and all those honorably discharged or retired - Thank You.

Old Salt said:
To all those currently serving, and all those honorably discharged or retired - Thank You.

I completely echo that.

God bless you all.

I wrote this in the marine birthday thread but I will repost it here:

I would like to extend a special thank you to all the veterans, we are a land of the free because of the few brave that defend our way of life.

Your service is the definition of hero, at the time of enlistment a soldier writes a check to his Nation for an amount up to and including his life in the defense of America, there is no greater sacrifice than putting your life on the line for freedom.

Letter to Mrs. Bixby

Executive Mansion,
Washington, Nov. 21, 1864.

Dear Madam,--

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

"Dear Mrs. Sullivan:

"The knowledge that your five gallant sons are missing in action, against the enemy, inspired me to write you this personal message. I realize full well there is little I can say to assuage your grief.

"As the Commander in Chief of the Army and the Navy, I want you to know that the entire nation shares your sorrow. I offer you the condolence and gratitude of our country. We, who remain to carry on the fight, must maintain the spirit in the knowledge that such sacrifice is not in vain. The Navy Department has in-
formed me of the expressed desire of your sons; George Thomas, Francis Henry, Joseph Eugene, Madison Abel, and Albert Leo, to serve on the same ship. I am sure, that we all take pride in the knowledge that they fought side by side. As one of your sons wrote, `We will make a team together that can't be beat.' It is
this spirit which in the end must triumph.

"Last March, you, Mrs. Sullivan, were designated to sponsor a ship of the Navy in recognition of your patriotism and that of your sons. I am to understand that you are, now, even more determined to carry on as sponsorer. This evidence of unselfish-
ness and courage serves as a real inspiration for me, as I am sure it will for all Americans. Such acts of fate and fortitude in the face of tragedy convince me of the indomitable spirit and will of our people.

"I send you my deepest sympathy in your hour of trial and pray that in Almighty God you will find a comfort and help that only He can bring.

Very sincerely yours,

"/s/ Franklin D. Roosevelt"

Attachments

• f309f22bb07bcab86b5eadb64ceecd72.jpg
    f309f22bb07bcab86b5eadb64ceecd72.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 8
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.

-Elmer Davis

Back