Virus reporting: blank IE window

G

gren

Where should I report an unidentified virus?
While browsing the web yesterday, a blank IE window popped up on top of everything else. I identified the Window as an IE9 one, cause when I switched off the internet connection, there was the usual « page cannot be found » screen. This “ghost” window has an icon in the task bar: an old fashioned floppy diskette. The window puts itself in full screen at Windows startup, has no button or title, always stays on top of everything else, including the task manger and start menu, does not react to ALT+TAB, WIN+TAB or ALT+F4, this makes it impossible to operate Windows. CTRL+ALT+DEL would still allow me to shut down or reboot. The Window also appears while starting another user account, while starting Windows in safe mode, and while starting Windows in last good configuration. It’s a pretty nasty one. Microsoft Security essential didn’t say anything while the Window was running.
Solving it : I started on Windows 7’s install DVDROM , then chose to repair Window to the state it was 2 days earlier. Then I did a virus scan with Microsoft Security Essential and Kaspersky Free removal tool: both didn’t detect anything. Also in MSConfig I couldn’t see any suspicious item… and a Google search led me to think I’m the only one in this case? I’m puzzled.

Continue reading...

Back