W7 single device license, setup/clone to student lab

N

neelloG

Hello
I have 30 brand new identical desktop computers, each with its own W7 PRO license key.....these are to be deployed in a student lab. What is my best course of action here for what i want to accomplish; create an image that can be used on any of the 30 computers.
I am very familiar with WXP volume license/ghosting&cloning. This is my first experience with W7 and we did not purchase volume licensing for these due to budget.
I successfully set up one computer, created a backup and restore disk via the maintenance software on the computer, pulled the image via ghost and pushed to a 2nd device (after i initially started up the device and ran through the setup). When device #2 started up with the image from #1, I was never asked to input the W7 license key, same with device #1 initial setup, and activation was automatic. Thus far, i have not run into any licensing issues, popup warnings, etc. Will I at some point?
1) So it is safe to assume device 1 &2 now have the same W7 key? Is it possible to change the key to match the tag on the device?
2) The backup and restore disks i created can now be used with the other 29 computers i have? Or do i have to create that disk(s) for each device?
Suggestions/steps for proper setup? setup a device?, generalize it?, rearm it?, sysprep?, create image?
Any help and information would be very greatly appreciated!!! I'd love the advantage of others experience.
Thanks!!

Continue reading...

Back