Wanting to make some changes

mawest

I posted this in the ORG but it is more laid back over here so I thought I would post it here too.
I have already received some great advice but I enjoy learning from others too.

I have a 2004 450r with a stock motor. The only thing I have changed is a Motoworks SR4 slip on (free), air box lid is off, re-jetted and a Uni filter.

I am wanting to make a few changes but keep the reliability. That is where I would like your thoughts/input.

I want to put a cam in. What cam would you guys recommend? Stage II HC, HRC or other?

I was recommended to put a FCR carburetor on too. Will that really help me or would I just be wasting money? Will it bolt right and work on the 04 or would I have to make some changes to make it work? Completely re-jet it?

Because I was cheap and did not want to buy a full exhaust at the time, I am now wishing I had. It was suggested to me to buy a HRC head pipe and hook to my Motoworks slip on. Will it hook right on? Good or bad idea??

I race XC (mainly Hare and Hound) and will be heading down to race the Baja 500 in June.
Feel free to leave your comments and advice. I am open to what everyone has to say. I have lots to learn and I think its best when you learn from those that ride what you do.

Thanks guys!!!

It really begins, with your budget. Believe me and others can concur, you can dump some serious cash in to the "Beast". The stock head pipe is a restriction. I don't know how much larger the HRC pipe is, but it has to be an improvement. Maybe find a Motoworks pipe, to match the slip on. Both of those cams will be a good upgrade. I ran the HC2 with just the header upgrade, it was a great comb. They are both very similar. FCR carb gives you an improved throttle responds, but I have heard some XC guys, like the stock carb better for the tight trails. It is a little more forgiving. With all of this said, I can not emphasize it more, your best investment will be the head work. Having some good port work done, will make all of the formentioned components, work as one! I have enjoyed every modification to my 04. I am always thinking about, my next move. Enjoy and have fun doing your project. :applouse:

376abaeeffdb59608f6f0399f1708849.jpg

Thanks F-RED. I am leaning towards the HRC cam. Plus, people tend to sell them for less. From my research I have to agree with what everyone has told me and that is BOTH cams are great. There is a mechanic that has offered to help me get things going. For the HC cam, 12:1 piston and the labor and adjustments that come with these changes he has offered to do it for me for $350.00 for everything!! I think that is a great deal. It's a toss up. If I can find another cam he will throw it in for free. I called another company and for the exact same work they wanted $1200.00 and I had to take the motor out of the quad. They don't accept the entire bike.

Thanks Mamito!! I'm still trying to figure out how to get some suspension. Medical bills are still killing me. My daughter is worth it but.... DAMN!!! LOL

Back