War in Iraq: Show or clout, or get the hell out?

Mohammed_Rots_In_Hell

I for one am very glad that we (the US) is liberating Iraq, and when it's all over we'll have a nice big base of operation to topple the next terrorist regime (like Iran, Syria, etc. etc.)

jokersarewild said:
There are analysts saying this could go horribly wrong and turn into a civil war in Iraq.
That could be the best thing for them IE THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Attachments

• 9f094858636bf3664ec529e3110022e3.jpg
    9f094858636bf3664ec529e3110022e3.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 9
I think we need to kill some bad guys to make examples and if a bad guy comes from Iran or Syria then do one of their cities to get their attention. We need to take the attention off of our body count and put it on the bad guys body count. **** PC!

If there is anyone in this erstwhile group who does NOT believe that the invasion of Iraq was the Worlds Greatest Hissy Fit, and was executed merely because SOMEONE had to be slapped for 9/11, please PM me to negotiate the sale of a very large bridge at an extremely favourable price.

Any bridge.

Rotwang said:
If there is anyone in this erstwhile group who does NOT believe that the invasion of Iraq was the Worlds Greatest Hissy Fit, and was executed merely because SOMEONE had to be slapped for 9/11, please PM me to negotiate the sale of a very large bridge at an extremely favourable price.

Any bridge.

The reasons are below, if you're keen to read them. Cheers. ;)

An Anti-Democracy Foreign Policy: Iran
by Jacob G. Hornberger, January 31, 2005

When Iranians took U.S. officials hostage in the U.S. embassy in Tehran in 1979, Americans were mystified and angry, not being able to comprehend how Iranians could be so hateful toward U.S. officials, especially since the U.S. government had been so supportive of the shah of Iran for some 25 years. What the American people failed to realize is that the deep anger and hatred that the Iranian people had in 1979 against the U.S. government was rooted in a horrible, anti-democratic act that the U.S. government committed in 1953. That was the year the CIA secretly and surreptitiously ousted the democratically elected prime minister of Iran, a man named Mohammad Mossadegh, from power, followed by the U.S. government

Hugh G. Rekshun said:
And again, this means what to me?

Fair call. You extract what you need, and disregard the rest. The point is, if you fall for the words of your gov or press, and back a move that is based on fabrications, you are no worse than an Arab who hijacks an airliner and ploughs it into a building.

builder said:
Fair call. You extract what you need, and disregard the rest. The point is, if you fall for the words of your gov or press, and back a move that is based on fabrications, you are no worse than an Arab who hijacks an airliner and ploughs it into a building.

Good article builder....it amazes me what comes out of western media.But with a little background story...you can tell what angle they coming from..and wade through all the b.s.

I'm struggling to see the relevance of the CIA instigated and inspired coup the restored the Shah, and the invasion of Iraq.

True, there is common ground in terms of motive: expanding US influence etc, but to compare the world of 1953 to the world of 2003 is erroneous. The US is no longer able to cloak its activities to the same extent, and is far more accountable for the consequences of its act.

The reality is, and always was, that there is NO net benefit to the US in terms of oil, influence or dried figs.

There IS a possibility that countries who harbour terrorists, or offer aid, succour or resources may be somewhat discouraged in pursuing those activities, but as the chief combatant against the US is not a country but an ideal steeped in religion, I suspect that any discouragement has been short lived if London is any guide.

America, as usual, has severely miscalculated in the same way as it did in Vietnam. The invasion demonstrates, yet again, that despite a flock of spy satellites, an array of supercomputers, and an Intelligence Agency bigger than any other, America is incapable of evaluating cultural implications and basic human nature.

The average American has less knowledge of the cultures, national imperatives and social strictures of other countries than a fruitbat. They hold fewer passports per capita than Russia.

America only sees the world through American eyes. What country, other than the US, would plant its major cultural icon on the outskirts of Paris? America respects other countries insofar as they can turn a buck from them, or secrete a few listening posts or ICBM's.

America is the most dangerous of nations - armed and ignorant to ludicrous levels. America believes in violence the way other nations believe in living harmoniously. America believes in war as a means to peace. And at each occasion that it has attempted to enforce their doctrine, it has been humiliated. As it will do in Iraq.

All it has achieved is to get thousands of civilians killed, several hundred young American soldiers slaughtered, and paved the way for extremists to snipe away with bombs and beligerency for as many years as it takes for the US to back away in embarrassment.

The patience of extremism will far outweight the patience of American mothers and fathers. And their idiot politicians just...dont....get....it.

Hugh G. Rekshun said:
You know as well as I , mate, that your gov is just as ****ed up. So then again it begs the question; "whats the point"?

Be more specific. The point of what? The war? It's supposed to be over. Way back.

I know our gov is ****ed up. I know you're gov is ****ed up. My gov does not infiltrate other countries and destroy their democracies.

My gov's only feeble effort into international meddling was the 'salvation' of Timor from the Indonesians. They did it to "save them from tyrrany". If that was true, they would have also "saved" Aceh, and stopped the Indo gov from drawing an imaginary line through Papua New Guinea, annexing half of the ****ing country for themselves.

No, my gov "saved" East Timor for the vast undersea gasfields that are between that insignificant little island, and our northern shores.

Need I go on?

Rotwang said:
I'm struggling to see the relevance of the CIA instigated and inspired coup the restored the Shah, and the invasion of Iraq.

Well then, you'd be struggling, full stop. It might be fifty years ago, but put your own arse in the picture. Iran's secret service funded and arranged a political coup to replace your president, with one of their yes-men, and propped up this "new democracy" for 25 years, incarcerating and often murdering any dissidents, and keeping your former democratically elected president under house arrest until he died a natural death.

Rotwang said:
True, there is common ground in terms of motive: expanding US influence etc, but to compare the world of 1953 to the world of 2003 is erroneous.

You think that you, or anyone in your country, would, after even fifty years, forget that a foriegn country ousted your president, installed one of their puppets, and persecuted and killed anyone who had the audacity to protest these actions?

Rotwang said:
The US is no longer able to cloak its activities to the same extent, and is far more accountable for the consequences of its act.

Bullshit. The invasion of Afghanistan, (this time) resulted in 8000 Taliban surrendering. They were loaded into sealed containers, driven into the desert, and under the cover of darkness, bulleted to death and buried. A freak storm uncovered the remains, and the UN are currently guarding that site, pending a war crimes hearing.

Rotwang said:
The reality is, and always was, that there is NO net benefit to the US in terms of oil, influence or dried figs.

Dream on. The original coup, deposing Mossadegh, and implanting the Shah puppet. was all about control of the supply of the only asset they have, and it ain't ****ing dried dates.

Rotwang said:
There IS a possibility that countries who harbour terrorists, or offer aid, succour or resources may be somewhat discouraged in pursuing those activities, but as the chief combatant against the US is not a country but an ideal steeped in religion,

You're talking about the Koran? The CIA had that wonderfully sedate tome translated into languages that it had not been read in before, and distributed it, along with text outlining the atrocities that the Soviet Union had done in the past. The CIA also trained those same people in bomb-making techniques, and supplied them with the chemicals for making explosives.

Rotwang said:
I suspect that any discouragement has been short lived if London is any guide.

London was nothing to do with Al Queda. They were amateur hacks, who failed dismally. The result was, to make Londoners psychotically paranoid, hence the murder of that innocent Brazilian.

Rotwang said:
America, as usual, has severely miscalculated in the same way as it did in Vietnam.

Vietnam had been at "war" for half a century. Surrender was not on the agenda.

Rotwang said:
The invasion demonstrates, yet again, that despite a flock of spy satellites, an array of supercomputers, and an Intelligence Agency bigger than any other, America is incapable of evaluating cultural implications and basic human nature.

War in itself is not a bankable commodity. Think about this; Bush is spending over a million bucks a day in Iraq. Do you think this money comes out of his pocket? Bush is making a million bucks a month in profits from the sale of munitions and bombs from the massive share-holdings he has in factories in the US and South Korea.

Rotwang said:
The average American has less knowledge of the cultures, national imperatives and social strictures of other countries than a fruitbat.

Blame the education system. Our plebs are not so bright either.

Rotwang said:
They hold fewer passports per capita than Russia.

So what? Most Australians think they've been overseas when they visit Bali, which is just one hour north of our shores.

Rotwang said:
America only sees the world through American eyes.

A~greed.

Rotwang said:
What country, other than the US, would plant its major cultural icon on the outskirts of Paris?

Irrelevant.

Rotwang said:
America respects other countries insofar as they can turn a buck from them, or secrete a few listening posts or ICBM's.

Profit. The "free trade" agreement is what you are discussing now. Stick to the topic.

Rotwang said:
America is the most dangerous of nations - armed and ignorant to ludicrous levels.

Yes, and despite claims to the contrary, US people, particularly the Cleetus's amongst them, love the fact that they "have the bombs". Well guess what? That attitude is what is gonna bring them all down.

Rotwang said:
America believes in violence the way other nations believe in living harmoniously.

No. Your decision makers believe that if diplomacy does not work, heavy-handedness will. They are reaping what they sow right about now.

Rotwang said:
America believes in war as a means to peace.

Don't be dragging the whole country into this. The US military, and the US gov, not Congress, not the people, believe that if they spread enough lies, and kill off their detractors, they will end up getting what they want.

Rotwang said:
And at each occasion that it has attempted to enforce their doctrine, it has been humiliated.

You're stretching it. Name these occasions.

Rotwang said:
As it will do in Iraq

I'm not for Iraq invasion. But it's too ****ing late. Best to fix what you've ****ed, or be forever haunted by your mistakes.

Rotwang said:
All it has achieved is to get thousands of civilians killed,

Independent sources put that figure at around 100,000, not to mention the ongoing incidences of cancer from the tonnes of depleted uranium used in almost all of the projectiles, from bullets up to bombs.

Rotwang said:
several hundred young American soldiers slaughtered,

The public has little idea of the real numbers of allied deaths. Remember, US soldiers are not there on their pat malone.

Rotwang said:
and paved the way for extremists to snipe away with bombs and beligerency for as many years as it takes for the US to back away in embarrassment.

The civil war will happen whether the allied forces remain or not.

Rotwang said:
The patience of extremism will far outweight the patience of American mothers and fathers.

I agree. Osama Bin Laden outlayed 400,000 dollars to start this ****. Bush has just about bankrupted the US for what? Osama has claimed that the only way to beat a superpower, is to financially cripple it. Did you know that the US is currently heavily in debt to China? The last great red nation in the world is financing the US? Yep?

Rotwang said:
And their idiot politicians just...dont....get....it.

No, the idiotic plebs allow this to happen. If enough public dissent happens, that is when the pollies have to do something. Handing over your power to some fictional characters, and lumping them under the heading "idiot politicians" points to you not having the balls to excercise your right to free speech.

Back