Was Jesus a Buddhist?

Anna Perenna

Jesus appears to have gone missing from the ages of 12 to 30.

A common theory is that he travelled to India, Tibet, Nepal etc and studied Buddhism.

I'd be very interested to know what the religious people on this forum think about this topic.

I'll share my theory if you share yours.

I bet Phantom will have a lot of insight on this topic. That girl knows her stuff when it comes to questions of a biblical nature.

I once saw a show that even suggested Jesus may have made it as far as North and South America in his travels during the lost years as there are hints of his teachings and influence in Native art and folklore. I guess a person can accomplish a lot in 18 years!

Ahhlee said:
I bet Phantom will have a lot of insight on this topic. That girl knows her stuff when it comes to questions of a biblical nature.

I once saw a show that even suggested Jesus may have made it as far as North and South America in his travels during the lost years as there are hints of his teachings and influence in Native art and folklore. I guess a person can accomplish a lot in 18 years!

I hope Phantom logs in soon - nobody else appears interested in being a nerdy theorist.

And thanks for the tip - I'm still working on my hypothesis.

Speculation abounds concerning Jesus' "lost years." Although several accounts exist in apocryphal Christian/Hebrew texts that detail His actions during these years, secularists claim he traveled to the Far East, Britain, France, the Americas, Antarctica, Mars, etc. For a poor Jewish carpenter, Jesus really got around.

Regardless, no substantial evidence of any kind has ever surfaced. Everything that has already been brought forth to support such hypotheses has been debunked beyond recognition.

Many secularists claim correlations exist between the lives and teachings of Gautama the Buddha and Jesus but once we examine history and the original sacred texts, such similarities do not exist.

fullauto said:
based on his life account... I think it is possible he went to Egypt...

I forgot about Egypt. But yes- some believe he went to Egypt, too. Why do you think this? The Talmud or something else?

As an apprentice carpenter, Jesus would have spent two years at the bottom of a pit saw, and then two years on the top of the same device.

He didn't end up looking like this by meandering round the countryside in sandals.

View attachment 1168

Attachments

• 8a30a903c9d856a7951559cd2be7d7c4.jpg
    8a30a903c9d856a7951559cd2be7d7c4.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Phantom said:
I forgot about Egypt. But yes- some believe he went to Egypt, too. Why do you think this? The Talmud or something else?

Few reasons....

First... Mary! Mary Magdalene was originally Mary of Magdala, a City/town in Northern Egypt... Where better to find a person from Egypt than in an Egyptian town whos name they have taken as thier own! ;)

... that is of course, IF Jesus did exist at all that is...

Second... Jesus, in his 'own words' spoke of two 'gods'...

Mathew 5:34 - "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is G_d's thrown"

and

Mathew 16:23 - "Get thee behind me Satan; Thou art an offense unto me; Thou Savorist not things that be of G_d, but those that be of men"

The concept of Satan, Shi'tan to the Jews back then, was nothing more than an adversary to G_d... Only in Egypt at that time would he have learned about the truth in that G_d and Satan both were very powerful gods, and that while G_d wants what is best for himself, Satan was more concerned with the plight of men...

Those, coupled with the many similarities of Jesus to the Horus/Osiris tales make for a pretty good case...

...That IF jesus did exist, who would most likely spent some of his lost years in Egypt...:D :D

Phantom said:
Speculation abounds concerning Jesus' "lost years." Although several accounts exist in apocryphal Christian/Hebrew texts that detail His actions during these years, secularists claim he traveled to the Far East, Britain, France, the Americas, Antarctica, Mars, etc. For a poor Jewish carpenter, Jesus really got around.

Regardless, no substantial evidence of any kind has ever surfaced. Everything that has already been brought forth to support such hypotheses has been debunked beyond recognition.

Many secularists claim correlations exist between the lives and teachings of Gautama the Buddha and Jesus but once we examine history and the original sacred texts, such similarities do not exist.

I know, I know - but where do you propose he was, and what was he doing?

Just hanging out at home? That's so boring. If you have to, make something up. This is a nerdy theory thread.

Get into it. We're losers :)

fullauto said:
Few reasons....

First... Mary! Mary Magdalene was originally Mary of Magdala, a City/town in Northern Egypt... Where better to find a person from Egypt than in an Egyptian town whos name they have taken as thier own! ;)

Mathew 5:34 - "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is G_d's thrown"

and

Mathew 16:23 - "Get thee behind me Satan; Thou art an offense unto me; Thou Savorist not things that be of G_d, but those that be of men"

The concept of Satan, Shi'tan to the Jews back then, was nothing more than an adversary to G_d... Only in Egypt at that time would he have learned about the truth in that G_d and Satan both were very powerful gods, and that while G_d wants what is best for himself, Satan was more concerned with the plight of men...

Those, coupled with the many similarities of Jesus to the Horus/Osiris tales make for a pretty good case...

...That IF jesus did exist, who would most likely spent some of his lost years in Egypt...:D :D

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!

Anyways, apprenticeship aside, which would take his travelling age up to a more respectable 19 or 20 maybe, that leaves a lot of years unaccounted for.

On the fastest travel available at that time,(horse or shank's pony) I guess he coulda covered lots of ground.

When did the messiah thing start happening? Around 29?

That makes nine or ten clear years of travel.

fullauto said:
Few reasons....

The New Testament describes Mary Magdalene as coming from the Galilean (thus, Hebrew) province of Magdala- not the northern Egyptian city of the same name.

Of course He existed. :rolleyes:

and

I'm lost. How does this reference two gods?

I see where you are coming from but the concept of an adversary is found in the oldest book of the Hebrew and Christian Bible- Job. Though "Satan" (the adversary) was definitely explained more in depth in the NT, he most certainly was not originally invented by Jesus nor was he remotely described as being a god.

I will assume you are referring to the life-rebirth deities, virgin birth, twelve disciples, crucified saviors, etc. etc. The pagan copycat theory? NONE of this is true. Put down your Massey, Graves, and Acharya and come back to me.

Most likely? I was under the impression the Bible said he was teaching in the temple where he "astounded" the scholars and helped his step-father with his carpentry business. THIS would be the most likely scenario. If Jesus was going to be known as a Rabbi (which He did indeed end up becoming), this would require intense education under the scholars. Also, the age of 30 is known as the age of spiritual maturity in the Middle East. It would make perfect sense for Him to have studied in the temple until He reached this age.

builder said:
Anyways, apprenticeship aside, which would take his travelling age up to a more respectable 19 or 20 maybe, that leaves a lot of years unaccounted for.

On the fastest travel available at that time, (horse or shank's pony) I guess he coulda covered lots of ground.

When did the messiah thing start happening? Around 29?

That makes nine or ten clear years of travel.

Exactly. (His life starts being documented again at around age 30)

And while I'm not convinced about the Buddhism theory, the basic principles of Buddhism, combined with some of the extra 'skills' the lamas are renowned for learning, would go a long way towards explaining the resurrection, among other famous bible stories.

However, I'm not sure what I believe just yet, which is why I am asking for input. Unfortunately I'm not getting much feedback.

Is this is a boring topic? Let me know. I have other (hopefully better) ideas for threads.

Phantom said:
Most likely? I was under the impression the Bible said he was teaching in the temple where he "astounded" the scholars and helped his step-father with his carpentry business. THIS would be the most likely scenario. If Jesus was going to be known as a Rabbi (which He did indeed end up becoming), this would require intense education under the scholars. Also, the age of 30 is known as the age of spiritual maturity in the Middle East. It would make perfect sense for Him to have studied in the temple until He reached this age.

Most articles I've read agree that the gospels are virtually bereft of all references to Jesus' early life. The only information available consists of vague inferences found elsewhere.

The only real account occurs in Luke, a story which involves a 12 year old Jesus wandering off into Jerusalem to discuss religion in his temple.

And while it is assumed that Jesus spent many years studying carpentry under his father, it's not actually documented and therefore cannot be taken as gospel (pardon the pun).

So, between that ages of 12 and 30 he seemingly disappears, and I think it would be wise to try and find out exactly what Jesus was up to.

There is also no conclusive explanation as to how Jesus was (if he was) able to speak Greek. There are lots of likely scenarios, and many more possible explanations - and one of them, of course, is that he actually travelled to Greece.

I don't see what the big deal is in thinking that Jesus traveled. Wouldn't it be much better if he were well travelled and well educated? I don't have a theory, but I was just wondering why there is such a problem with the idea that he traveled.

Anna Perenna said:
Most articles I've read agree that the gospels are virtually bereft of all references to Jesus' early life. The only information available consists of vague inferences found elsewhere.

The only real account occurs in Luke, a story which involves a 12 year old Jesus wandering off into Jerusalem to discuss religion in his temple.

True. There is a gap from the ages of 12-30. The last we hear is that He is teaching in the temple as a child before His ministry begins at the age of 30.

And while it is assumed that Jesus spent many years studying carpentry under his father, it's not actually documented and therefore cannot be taken as gospel (pardon the pun).

Exactly. The apocryphal texts which document His life during "the lost years" were never canonized (obviously). I can't remember the name of the texts off the top of my head but I think they mention Jesus retreating/living in the wilderness for a good length of time while the other part was spent as a carpenter.

ToriAllen said:
I don't see what the big deal is in thinking that Jesus traveled. Wouldn't it be much better if he were well travelled and well educated? I don't have a theory, but I was just wondering why there is such a problem with the idea that he traveled.

To me it isn't a big deal. However, secular scholars use the theory of His supposed travels to pick up foreign religions, return to Israel, then teach said religion as something new in order to draw a following.

I had a whole heap of links about this subject...it had theories from Jewish scholars, Christian scholars and Catholics (yep, just catholics ;) ) but do ya think I can ****en find them?... If I come across them I'll post em.

What do you reckon about the theory of Jesus having had kids?...and please, **** the davinci code.

My theory on the bible (I'm Christian, but not frutiloop traditional Christian) is that the bible WAS most definitely used as a control for the masses...dunno if anyone will disagree there but the "church" had millenia to add and take away information that could have been damaging or contradicting to the use the church had for the bible...the church only "recently" opened the bible up to the masses and really for a thousand years it was controlled by people with LOTS of power and disturbing agendas...kinda like "edited for audiences".

I think if you look at the people who were in charge "way back when" it's makes for a real disturbing read and AS IF some of those people treated the bible as untouchable.

I'd say Christ's mid years would have been included somewhere in there....I can't remember, but does the bible go on about christ conversing with god in the 0-12 part of his existence?...