What are solutions for unauthorized remote use of a computer via Virtual Private Network?

N

NewsBot

Dell Dimension E310.  Windows XP.  "Media Center". 5 years old.  Originally, part of a 'network' situation for a local restaurant.

I purchased one of the machines.   I was online when I saw unsolicited 'request' come across my screen for

remote assistance".  At bottom of screen, next to clock, I could see that someone

was downloading a file (game related).  "Accelerator" is all I remember.  Called my internet provider.  They do not deal with Virtual Private
Networks.  They tell me it looks like there is more than one device connected to my computer.  

I discovered that a Network Interface Card  is installed on my machine.
Direct Quote: "Integrated "NIC" needed only when booting to server.  You do not need a "NIC" if booting to OS on hard disk."

Accessed "Computer Management" and deleted all except myself as User and the Administrator.
However,  I must have done that too late. Other party managed to become something called an  "NT AuthorityAuthenticated User"

and an "AuthorityInteractive".  Other party downloaded something called "Intel Pro 100 Network Connection" file.
I lost my user credentials and computer was "locked" to my requests and would not recognize my password.

My disk was formatted yesterday and new Windows installed.  I lost all my personal files.

My computer working again.  I was told that the person who has "taken over" my computer still "owns" it even tho I may
format my disk and start over multiple times!  Is this true?  Does he still have 'access'.  And what can I do about it?

Thank you very much for a response.  My technical knowledge is very limited.

View this thread

Back