What I learned in the Twilight Zone

phreakwars

Kind of a spin off topic here.

I'm not much of a TV watcher, but I do like the classics... mainly because the old black and white movies actually used to tell a story or try and convey a message, no fancy effects, no Pamela boobs, no big name celeb actors hamming it up for the teen idol mags, no damn political messages, just good story telling. The kind that inspire me to write my own.

The Twilight Zone is one the best examples of the best of Classic TV.

Too many episodes to go through, but there was always some kind of underlying message in the actions of life, and thoughts we may have about the obscure.

One of my favorite episodes would have been the one from Season 1 called "A NICE PLACE TO VISIT"

http://www.cbs.com/c...fault&play=true

It told the story of a guy who was a criminal, got shot, sent to what he thought was heaven, and got basically whatever it was he could possibly want.

He inevitably, ended up actually being in hell.

Now I ain't gonna start getting all philosophical and what have ya about the story being told. I have my own interpretation... yours may differ.

But what I learned from Rod Serling, is there is no honor in earning something without having to keep trying for it.

I'm sure there is more to say about the episode, watch it if you like... or.. share some of your favorite Twilight Zone shows, or even other old classic black and white shows.

and yet you voted for Obama???
Now, now....That's a whole 'nuther spin off thread.

I always enjoyed the one where the astronaut landed on the planet and scared the small people there into worshiping him. It has been so long since I've seen it I can't remember exactly how it went, but basically at the end astronauts that were bigger than him landed and accidentally killed him. Then they said something like, 'oh, that's a shame' and brushed him to the side.

I think maybe the point of that one was that we kind of take for granted that we are the superior beings and can show a general lack of respect beings we consider to be inferior. Just hope like hell there is nothing out there superior to us that has the same lack of respect.

Now, now....That's a whole 'nuther spin off thread.

I always enjoyed the one where the astronaut landed on the planet and scared the small people there into worshiping him. It has been so long since I've seen it I can't remember exactly how it went, but basically at the end astronauts that were bigger than him landed and accidentally killed him. Then they said something like, 'oh, that's a shame' and brushed him to the side.

I think maybe the point of that one was that we kind of take for granted that we are the superior beings and can show a general lack of respect beings we consider to be inferior. Just hope like hell there is nothing out there superior to us that has the same lack of respect.
I think that one was called "The Little People"

Another good one was "Five Characters in search of an exit" where they are all trapped in a cylinder trying to get out, at the end, they all end up being dolls or toys or something.

One of my favorite shows ever.. they were all good..

I love the one where they gave another spin on how life started on Earth.. the whole show ya thought that an astronaut Named Colonel Cook from Earth crash landed on another planet and came across a woman who was the sole survivor from another planet.. they couldn't talk or anything but they found ways to communicate over time and at the end ya found out their names were Adam and Eve..

Here's the synopsis from Wiki..
Astronaut Adam Cook crash lands on a strange planet with gravity and atmospheric conditions similar to those on his home world. Most of his equipment is put out of commission by the crash and he cannot repair it due to a broken arm and lack of resources. Shortly afterwards, he learns that his home world has embarked on a catastrophic nuclear war. In his last transmission, Adam's superior back home, General Larrabee, tells him that there may be no survivors when the war is over, so he can expect no rescue.

Eventually he finds a woman from another species who tells him her name is Eve Norda. They cannot understand each other's language, but she communicates through sketches drawn in the sand and by pantomime that she is also stranded; her planet left its orbit for some reason. Together, Adam and Eve begin a new life on this planet she calls "Irth", which Adam pronounces as Earth. She even offers him a "seppla", which appears to be a very familiar "forbidden fruit".

Good stuff..

Back