Why can't I get file backups to comple?

E

ElizaDoolittle84

I have not been able to make back up files for several months, and I have had an uneasy feeling about the security of my system for longer than that.
Around February 12, I had an episode of popups telling me my copy of windows was not genuine. Once that got straighted out, I installed full MSE during which time it found and removed 13 Trojans They were from the Glocker, zalux$1, Zalux$zondo,zom, and zalux classes. That's the good news.

When I click on "back up my files", I get a warning that says “Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes on this computer?” When I look at the details in the warning, the program is found in C:\windows\system 32\sdclt.exe /KICKOFFjOB.
That seems to be a legitimate MS executable, but I am not so sure about the /KICKOFFJOB switch,

Can anyone enlighten me about this curious message and command line?

Thanks so much

And, if you're really feeling good at this, can you answer this related question?

I notice that every time I boot up without being connected to the internet (which is typical) , there are two entries in the event log that say:

Windows (2372) Windows: The database engine is initiating recovery steps.
and
Windows (2372) Windows: The database engine has begun replaying logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\MSS016C0.log.
There is no such file location on this free-standing machine. No MicrosoftSearchData following ProgramData.

I have not run system restore or anything like that. Whenever I google this, I always get links to TechNet that deal with server management. This is a freestanding machine, not networked to any other machine. Can someone please explain this to me?

I apologize for asking two questions.
Thanks.

Continue reading...

Back