Why didn't MSE detect and stop the My Security Shield Virus from infecting my laptop?

D

DorothyTestone

Why didn't MSE detect and stop the My Security Shield Virus from infecting my laptop? I had MSE running with current updates. The virus infected my son's user account. I ran MSE full system scan in his user account, but after scanning halfway for 2 hours, my laptop would completely shut down. I ran MSE full scan in my own user (administrator) ID taking four hours, and it did not detect the virus at all. I finally had to search the internet on another computer for help to manually find and remove it. I did. I found it by going to Task Manager in my user id, and clicking the box at bottom to see all users' activity (while my son's was logged on). I saw a strange exe file that was created exactly the same time & day of the infection. I renamed it, unchecked the startup option, restarted my laptop, and that stopped the virus from popping up on my son's user id. I found it in his DATAApp Local file, and deleted to the Recycle Bin, and then emptied the bin. Laptop is running normal again, I reran MSE, but no longer trust it. If anyone is interested, I wrote down the name of that rogue exe file...

Continue reading...

Back