Why does my quad only go 60mph? stock gearing, 19" tires

ridingred

My 05 seems to top out real quickly compared to other quads i've owned. I personally don't, because i've got lots of gid-eee-up and i rarely ride wide open roads but i just don't know why it doesn't run 70mph+ like all the other stock geared trx's and yfz's. Could it have a stage 1 hotcam instead of the HRC cam that i thought was in it? would this slow down the top speed? The only time this annoys me is on a couple of the local tracks i'll be topped out on the straight aways bouncing off the revver......

So, i've got stock gearing, full exhaust, lid off, and some artrax 19" tires. Before i put the artrax tires on, i would still only do about 65mph. I just can't figure it out. It doesn't seem like a false limiter, because when i get it up to about 60-65mph, it bounces off the limiter and it definitely feels and sounds like it's as the max rev. Could the timing be off? even though it runs like a champ? or could it be the cam?

stock gearing is 14-38 on the 04/05. double check. and are you hitting the rev limiter when topped out? the 19 inch rear tires should only slow you down about 3-4 mph so you should be able to hit about 75mph
cam wont change top speed

Yeah, i've got the 14/38 combo, just put it back to stock not too long ago. Yeah it hits the rev limiter when i'm maxxed out in 5th gear. I wouldn't think the 19's would slow me down much, i mean i should at least be getting to 70 without reaching the rev limit. I use a gps for MPH, not to mention i'm running alongside my buddies and they aren't even maxxed yet. I'm baffled.

sounds likea rich false limiter to me. stock head 04/05 TRX's will barely ever bounce off the limiter in 5th gear. the head just doesn't make power in those RPMS to hit it hard enough. heres an example.

Attachments

• rich false limiter.jpg
    rich false limiter.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 33
i thought that was it too, i've tried all sorts of jets, even had a 162 main jet in there and it was cutting out lean, i can tell by how high it's revving that it's all out. and it bounces off the rev limiter at the same rpm's in 2nd 3rd and 4th. With my mods i truly believe i'm bouncing off the revver but what jet should i try? currently i'm on a 185 main.

with a pro circuit slip on and a 165 main jet, it did the same thing, then i had an ESR full tight bend exhaust, it did the same thing, now i've got a full hotdogz and it's the same way.

well took it for a spin with the gps, i hit 65mph and was bouncing off the revver, i'm gonna blame the tires, maybe they measure closer to 18 and so i'm losing like 8mph or so? i really don't know. all i know is it gets up there quick and doesn't lose any power before the rev limiter.

Mine went 120 km/h with 22's on the back when I got it, with stock gearing.

Now with stock gearing and 20's it only does 105-110 km/h which would work out to what you're running. No complaints for me..

Everyone else can actually get their stocker to 75 mph? Strange.

Now how is that a laugh kind sir? you don't think that's possible when its geared 14/36?? I must have forgotten that you no more about my own bike then I do and that you there when that happened, my bad. Ill make sure to to check in with you when ever I post something about my bike. Respectfully Luke

Really? hmm thats weird I mean when i bought the bike was told it had a cam but he seemed like he was bullshitting me but maybe not then? Guess I'll have to look into it then... How is that not realistic to u?

well lets say mine tops out at 60 and yours tops out at 80 just to make the math easy.
your 20 mph is my 33 kmh
i can't see a cam giving you 33kmh over me. I weigh 230 I'm 6'3" running average weight 20's with 14/38 gearing (i'm pretty sure, been a while, it's either 14/38 or 14/39)

I have a dasa classic, intake, half lid, 180 mj, exceptional compression, brand new clutch, brand new chain, new bearings EVERYWHERE. I can't see what you have over me besides maybe a cam which I can't see delivering that much more speed.

Your tires weigh 15 lbs less, you'd have to be a french fry of a man riding a 450, and you must have replaced all your nuts and bolts with Ti? I'm not saying your a liar, I just think we must have 2 really different setups.

Is there such a thing as having an out of whack GPS? Do you have to calibrate them? Pull up beside the highway and get your buddy to clock you off the speedo and see if that shows anywhere's close to 80 mph.

Well I have a lot higher gearing then you, I weigh like a lot less 155-160 and 20s, and my buddy's ltr does 83 too (on a different gps..) and we both will be dead even pinned. I have full hmf, no lid, uni, jetted, maybe a cam and idk if there's anything else I doubt it.

Well when I checked last summer with it I had a full hmf, intake, no lid, jetting, brand new
Clutch, sprockets 14/36, 20s tires maybe a cam and I weighed 155-160. My buddy's got a ltr that he got 83 on a different gps and we are completely even on a high end drag. But hey if it doesn't sound realistic to you doesn't really matter haha.

With 14/36 it should do ~90... that is a lot of gear... probably takes for ever to get up to speed though

cam/pipe/weight etc don't come into it .. they get you too max rpm quicker.. a lot quicker in many cases, but your top speed will always be determined by the max rpm / gearing / tire size, the only performance enhancer that will change top speed is an aftermarket CDI or green wire mod on the 06's that increase the rev limit.

There's an online gearing calculator online somewhere.. (it's called QuadCalc) that you can plug in your tire size / gearing and it'll tell you what you speed will be for each gear.. I've got it but it won't work on my Mac or I'd run it for you... when I was looking at gearing options 83 wasn't far fetched.. I've just come back from the desert today, I went from 14/37 to 14/39 (22' rears) and noticed a big difference in top speed on the wide open sections.. was better for the rocky technical bits though...

Back