Windows 7 Internet Time Update and RealTimeIsUniversal (UTC) registry hack

D

Doctor Gonzo

I believe I've discovered a problem with internet time sync when the RealTimeIsUniversal registry key is set to "true".
In a default Windows install, the real time clock (RTC) is expected to be in local time. If you sync to an internet time server in this default configuration, once the time is synced Windows will write the correct time back to the CMOS RTC as expected.
However, if the RTC is in UTC and you have enabled the RealTimeIsUniversal key, the correct time is no longer written to the CMOS RTC after internet time sync. You can still sync to an internet time server and the time will be displayed correctly for a short while, but the correct time is not written to CMOS, and generally within an hour the kernel will re-read the (incorrect) time from the CMOS RTC and your time will be off again. There appears to be no way to get the correct time from a time server to write to the CMOS RTC.
Is there any way to fix this so that the correct time is written to the RTC when you set it to use UTC?
I do know that the RealTimeIsUniversal registry key is not "supported", but since it does exist and people are obviously using it, it would be nice if it were moved to supported status eventually and worked correctly.

Continue reading...

Back