Windows 7 Pro not installing updates

DaMan

I have a new, HP laptop that came with Windows 7 Home (64 bit). About 3-4 weeks ago I upgraded it to Win 7 Pro (64 bit), and have not had any problems until now.
 My laptop is set to download & notify me when updates are available - but let me choose when to install them. This morning, I got the usual message on my taskbar that updates were available to install. I clicked on install and waited. After several minutes,
the message that updates had been successfully installed appeared. But, after that, I (again) received a message saying that updates were available to be installed. They were two updates that had been reported as installed, but didn't.
 The first update that would not install is: "Update for Microsoft .NET Framework," and the second is "Microsoft Silverlight (KB2668562)."  I tried several times to install the updates, but they failed. After that I tried: 1) Restarting the laptop & trying
again, that didn't work; 2) Disabling UAC, restarting the PC, that didn't work; 3) Disabling my anti-virus software (Avast Pro 7), and downloading the updates manually, that didn't work, 4) Shutting down the PC & letting it install the .NET Framework update,
then disconnecting the AC & removing the battery for 20 minutes, that hasn't worked either. Finally, I ran Microsoft Fix-it. It reported one problem being found & fixed, but I still have the issue of not being able to install the 2 updates.
 Also, I don't know if it is related, but a window keeps popping up that says "Updates for Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - English require a new version of the Microsoft Client Virtualization Handler.  Please use Microsoft Update to get the new version of
the Microsoft Client Virtualization Handler so you can continue to receive updates for security, performance and reliabality."  However, when I run Windows Update from Internet Explorer 9 (64-bit), I am not getting the option to install this update.
  I have read some of the Windows Update Articles in hopes of finding a solution, but nothing seemed to apply.
 Any suggestions?

Thanks, Terry

View this thread

Back