Windows 7 repair options - help needed?

A

atr8472

A technical support coworker has a problem with a key system.
Basically, somehow the main boot drive is corrupt, the data structure is intact, it will boot part way then hangs and reboots.
"The system comes up with a BSOD with error 0xc0000f, complaining about a missing driver ACPI.sys

He's tried the startup repair and system restore from the DVD, but it said it could not repair - nor did it find a restore point (strange after 4-5 years of use.
NB the system had BCWipe installed, the user stopped it from completing the process part way through, then the errors kicked in on the reboot).
I suspect that BCWipe has permanently deleted any system restore points as part of what it does so system restore is not an option I'd presume at this time.

We've got access to MS Dart, though I wanted to know what options he might have to get the system up and running again.
So he copied that driver back to the Windows\System32\drivers folder, and hit the following missing driver - repeated the copy procedure, each time it went further, so he decided to install Windows 7 (32-bit) a fresh on a spare disk - and copied the whole drivers folder onto the un-bootable drive.

Yes - he got windows starting ( the 4 colored balls turing into the Windows flag - then it rebooted again"

He's run startup repair and system restore again - with the same results
Also ran chkdsk, and a defrag on both partitions, - no problems

The hardware and pc is fine, we've come to the conclusion that something is causing Windows not to boot successfully, what options are viable ie. anything but not reinstalling?
He's not interested in backup, recovery, or fresh install - he know how to do that
So his question and mine question is : HOW to repair this system - so it boots again?"
Any advice?
The main purpose of this post is to get the system working again without reinstalling.
As mentioned above, he has a clean install of Windows on a good viable drive, so can copy any folders and files from the good drive to the unbootable drive.

Continue reading...

Back