Windows 7 RTM: Installation Hangs at "Extracting Windows Files"

P

PunjabiFloydian

Hello to all.

This problem has been well addressed before but pertained to RC and Beta versions.

However, it is still prevalent in the RTM version.

When installing Windows 7 RTM Professional x86, on an otherwise perfectly healthy computer, when we reach the part: Extracting Windows Files, the installation just stops. Different people report different levels, but for me it was 10%.

The solution as suggested by others in this forum, after a quick search:

- Check the RAM
- Wait for the installation (most ridiculous)

The problem is not with the RAM and definitely waiting is a bad idea. During the process, I brought up Command and checked for the disk usage in drive C:, where I was installing Windows. When the percentage reached 10%, the disk size did not change even by a byte for more than one hour.

I also checked my RAM using memtest86+, the results were perfectly OK.

Second: Why should we wait? I waited for more than one hour, nothing happened. Some MVP on the forum had suggested waiting as long as 16 hours. This is ridiculous. The crux of the problem is not being entertained.

Microsoft needs to address this problem quickly, cause AFAIK, there is no concrete solution. As I have already countered the above points, they don't make sense.

Can anyone please help me? I am ready to undertake any amount of research and experimentation to solve this problem for others and myself.// All that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Continue reading...

Back