Windows 7 RunOnceEx flags

W

warmep

I've been using RunOnceEx commands to install software after deploying Windows 7 SP1 x64 and it's working great; all of the programs are installing. The only problem I'm seeing is that the logging is not working as described in this KB article.
Here's the relevant excerpt:
Flags is a DWORD value located in the RunOnceEx key to enable/disable the following settings.

Value Function Function definition
0x00000000 Default All functions are disabled
0x00000004 Check Shell Status Verifies the shell is ready to accept OLE commands
0x00000008 No Error Dialogs Error dialog boxes are not displayed
0x00000010 Create Error Log File Create C:\Windows\RunOnceEx.err file if errors occur
0x00000020 Create Execution Log File Create a C:\Windows\RunOnceEx.log file with status of commands
0x00000040 No Exception Trapping Does not trap exceptions that occur when registering DLLs
0x00000080 No Status Dialog Status dialog box is not displayed while RunOnceEx runs
The values are cumulative. If you want "No Status Dialog" and "Create Error Log File," set Flags to hexadecimal 90 (80 + 10).

I'm trying to get both the Error log and Execution log, so that should be 30 (10 + 20), which is 48 in decimal.

I've tried setting the flag value a lot of different ways, no matter what, the RunOnceEx.log and RunOnceEx.err files never populate. Here's an example of what I've been using:
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx /V Title /D "Performing Software Installations" /F

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx /V Flags /t REG_DWORD /d 48 /f

I've tried other values, such as 80 (decimal 128) to disable the status dialog box, that doesn't work either. Has anyone gotten the RunOnceEx flags to work? Is it just not functional in Windows 7? Are there any alternatives/workarounds?

Thanks in advance!

Continue reading...

Back