Windows 7 SP1 install fails: ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING (0x80073701)

R

RWWWHB

Windows 7 SP1 installation fails on six of seven PCs. All seven had either a clean Windows 7 Professional (32-bit) install, or a relatively clean Windows 7 Professional (32) install with all previously available Windows 7 Windows Updates applied, and very few or NO other applications installed -- e.g., just Microsoft Security Essentials, Adobe Reader, graphics adapter driver and printer drivers, etc., at most, if any. On the one PC out of the seven that I tried where SP1 did install successfully, it failed on its mate, an identical (literally) PC.
The links on the resulting panel that pops up when the SP1 install fails gives five things to try. I've tried all five and a dozen more that can be found with a search engine, including booting in safe mode with all drivers hidden. I have run the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821/en-us and all is reported to be well. I've rebooted and retried the SP1 install on this one PC that I am concentrating on now about 35 times in the past 2 days; this PC is a clean, complete, fresh Windows 7 Pro install, with nothing else installed other than what Windows Update installed/installs. I have run the Sytem File Checker tool (sfc /verifyonly) and found nothing. I have run the Windows 7 SP 1 install from Windows Update, by downloading the .exe file from Microsoft and running that, and I have downloaded the .iso and burned a DVD for Windows 7 SP1 and tried to run it from the DVD. Regardless of the source of the SP1 package, it fails in exactly the same manner every time (except on 1 PC, see below). On one particular PC that I have been repeatedly trying to get SP1 to install on for the past 2 days, it has failed every time, with the following messages (which can be seen only when in safe mode):
Installation was not successful
The referenced assembly could not be found.
ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING(0x80073701)
I realize that there might be something missing that I need to install, and I've read all about WinSxS, and even installed all the language packs on one of these seven PCs, but what I really want to know is this: How can I find out what it thinks it is missing? I'll be happy to provide it, but it looks like it would be so kind as to give me a hint.
I have tried to install Windows 7 SP1 on seven PCs -- only two of which have the same motherboard and hard drive and other hardware -- everything from P4 to P4 Xeon and Core2 Duo and Quad systems. Out of these seven PCs I'm working with, Windows 7 SP1 installed successfully on only one of them, a Dell GX280. I have a second Dell GX280 I have to play with that is literally an identical piece of hardware, on which the SP1 install fails in exactly the same way that it does on the other five PCs (on which I have tried to install it). Hence, the problem cannot be hardware-related. It fails on a PC on which it works, and it fails on many different types of hardware. And it fails identically whether I have a clean, fresh Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) install, or even ones with just basic, generally-considered safe, applications installed.

Continue reading...

Back