Windows image restore (Error code 0x80070057; "the parameter is incorrect")

I

ibrahim.jadoon

Hi! :)

I have a Samsung PM800 256GB SSD. I made an image backup two nights ago with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Then yesterday I had some issues with partition alignment which somehow botched the Windows Repair/Recovery Environment found in "Repair Your Computer" when you hit F8 on boot. Windows, however, was fine after a startup repair and the partition was aligned perfectly. :)

However, I couldn't get the Recovery Environment back so I did a fresh install of Windows Professional 64-bit onto my system. The recovery partition was there (and on a side note, it was aligned correctly, too). I am now trying to restore the image I made a few days ago. However, I realize I cannot conduct this restore (of the image) if I
access the recovery environment through the hard drive (tells me it can't restore because the environment is on the hard drive which is to be restored) or a disc (I cannot eject a disc in the recovery environemnt due to lacking drivers for the touch-sensitive eject key). So I put the Recovery Environment on a flash drive which seems to work fine, though I cannot be certain that this is working perfectly.

Nonetheless, I insert the disc with my backup (50GB Blu-ray DL) and the jump drive. Boot into the recovery environment via flash drive (my motherboard supports USB booting) and attempt to restore the image. It tells me it will have to format the drive, etc. However, as soon as I click the final "yes" prompt and it starts to restore, it immediately spits an error at me:

Error: The parameter is incorrect
Code: 0x80070057

I have google'd this for hours, no luck: so few people have this problem and if so it is in MAKING the backup, not restoring it.

The disc is fine: I've cleaned in numerous times. If you can't figure out the solution, can someone PLEASE tell me how to get this image onto my hard drive somehow? It is a .vhd file about 18GB in size, but it includes a handful of other cryptically-titled files. :/

Thanks,

~Ibrahim~

Some possible useful bits of information:
I made an image of my 7 Ultimate 64-bit drive, but only had a 7 Pro disc handy. I have my Ultimate 64-bit key, but don't have the disc currently. So I'm trying to restore an image of 7 Ultimate 64-bit onto my 7 Pro 64-bit installation: issue?

There were no errors when making the image.

Idea: wipe the drive clean (how?) and then use the image restore tool on my jump drive? I would do this RIGHT now, but I don't know how to format the hard drive without concurrently installing Windows. I have GParted (which I initially used to align the partition) on a disc: just use that? I want to be SURE that this is a good solution, though: if I formatted it, tried the restore and it failed, it would be a PITA to have to reinstall 7 again. :(

Continue reading...

Back