Windows licenses required for RIS/WDS

G

Giuseppe Robbiati

Hi, I have a question about how many licenses are needed to be compliant when installing client computers with RIS/WDS.
As this document states:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/d/4/3d42bdc2-6725-4b29-b75a-a5b04179958b/reimaging.docx
- With OEM license I don't have re-imaging rights.
- I can use the VL media to re-image a client computer that comes with OEM license.
- I can re-image with VL media only computer with same os type and language (e.g.: with a XP Pro Italian VL media I can re-image just XP Pro Italian OEM client computers).
- For computers that come with OEM license and I re-image with VL media I have to call OEM support and I don't have rights to call Microsoft support directly.
But I can't understand HOW MANY licenses are required. E.G. one of my customers has 340 client computers, laptops or desktops, made by HP, all with XP pro or 7 Pro OEM. How many licenses do I require to reimage all of them with RIS/WDS ? 2 (one for Xp Pro and one for 7 Pro) o 340 (one for every client computer) ?
Because if they need just 2 licenses it is not a problem, if they have to buy again 340 windows Pro licenses when they already payed for the OEM licenses I think they will never implement RIS/WDS.........
Is there a Microsoft document that explains this aspect of reimaging rights?
Many thanks in advance.

Continue reading...

Back