windows mobile device center does not automatically install

• Thread starter Dave Williamson2
  • Start date
D

Dave Williamson2

We have seen more Windows 7 SP1 (maybe RTM, still investigating) in the corporate environment do the bong bong when the first USB attached device is attached to the machine but Windows Mobile Device Center is never triggered to install. We end up having to download the Windows Mobile Device Center installer and installing.

I understand that a standard user does not have sufficient rights to allow WMDC to be triggered and installed, although I don't see why it still can't be triggered and an elevated prompt given to allow the install; however, that is a different issue from what I'd like to understand. In the same scenario where a local administrator is logged in the WMDC also is not triggered. We have watched this for a couple of months now across various customers. Today I was testing out Windows 8 consumer preview and experienced the same thing. The hardware attached via USB triggered the bong bong but WMDC was never triggered to install.

What are the key things that need to be in place or exist for the expected scenario to happen dependably?

Continue reading...

Back