Windows Update Service Disabled - Error 80070422

S

Shere Khan

Hi,
On Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, when I go to Windows Update I see a "Check For Updates" button. When I click it I get an 80070422 error and "Try Again" button which does not work.

I have tried all that is explained in Help on this error, but it's still not working. Let me write in more detail: I opened "Administrative Tools", went to "Services", "Windows Update" service is disabled. I set the "Startup Type" to "Automatic", click on Apply and then I click the "Start" button to start the service. I get an error: 1058: "Windows could not start the Windows Update service on Local Computer", "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it".

I downloaded "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and installed it, hoping that the problem will be fixed, but no luck.
I read somewhere on this forum that a user faced a similar problem and searched in "Windows\System32" for "wu . " files and changed the security settings for all of them to allow SYSTEM and Administrators full control and re-registered through "regsvr32" all of the .dll files, but, after doing all of these I still had no luck.

My Windows Update still displays the error 80070422 and when I try to start the Windows Update service I get the error that the service cannot be started and it always sets itself on "Disabled", no matter what I do.

Could someone please help me with this problem? I really don't know what else to do.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Back