Wireless adapter lost on restart

H

hobgoblin9

I am running an HP Pavilion a1129n desktop with wireless connection to internet via a D-Link DWL-G122 USB adapter. If I need to restart the computer (e.g. after an update) the adapter is no longer recognized - I have to unplug it and plug it back into the USB port before it is "seen" - but then everything works fine, connectivity is good. If I actually shut the computer down, and then reboot, the adapter is seen, no problem, and connectivity established. Anybody got any ideas why? I can live with it, but it's odd behaviour. Two things: I have tried uninstalling the USB host controllers followed by restart without any lasting effect on recognition, and I recently had to reinstall the whole software gamut from the hard drive, again without any change in this behaviour. The driver is up to date AFAIK. One other thing: when I reboot after a full shutdown the small wireless icon in the taskbar right-hand end appears early, when I restart it appears late, after the unplugging and replugging (which seems logical). It may be relevant that I also have a (disabled) wireless card in the machine? Any ideas? I have checked discussions in various forums without finding an identical problem.
Thanks, hobgoblin9.

Continue reading...

Back