Word 2010 (64-bit on Win7 64-bit) crashes crashes on opening any document by double-click.

D

DaveFer

Sad to have to open repeat thread, but I'm having the same problem that Maurice Reed was having (that thread is now locked, although I didn't see any solution there).
I have a fresh installation of Windows 7 (64) and Office 2010 (64). Any time I double-click on a document to open it (that is, any time I open a document from Windows Explorer), Word 2010 crashes.
This includes situations where Word 2010 is already running and I open a doc or docx from Windows.
This also happens with NEWLY CREATED documents. I tested this by opening Word and creating and saving a brand new document. Opening that doc (docx) from Windows triggers this crash.
I tried deleting the Normal.dot as was suggested in other threads.
Also tried installing updates and hotfix from Microsoft. No luck.
I'm curious as to why Maurice's thread was locked when there didn't appear to be any resolution to it.
I'm stunned that such a widespread problem would go without a patch, hotfix or resolution for so many months. Am I missing something? I've been researching this for about a month off and on now. Have yet to see an actual fix. On the other hand, I've heard about this problem from others even before it happened to me.
What's going on up there? Where are Bartley & Jeanne when we need them. ;D
- Dave F.

Continue reading...