Wtf to do with a garage door. Experianced help is needed.

bvet4dog

mmhmm bacon!
Hey all,

I'm curious to see what you have as a set up for a walk in door for security purposes... Sometime last night or this morning, my garage door was busted wide open. Look like it was kicked and the door is sorta ****ed up now. The hinges are out of place and the lock didn't do ****.

Well, you cant argue with the law of physics. Pretty much any structure with weakest parts will break with enough force or pressure is applied.

I did what i could do for now with a temporary fix. New LONGER screws in the hinges and reinforced the door lock with a temporary fix. I did that by putting some small boards between the door frame and the jack studs. All this just so that i can open and close the door till i do something. However, now it's easy to slide a credit card through and push the locked door open. I'm still searching around to see if anything is stolen. Far as i can see, it looked like both of my wheelers were moved! Good thing they couldn't take both because i had a bunch of **** in front of them. On top of that both of the sliding garage doors are pad locked to the garage's structure. I have to do some more searching around. I havnt because i'm still pissed and cant think straight at this point. I am sleep deprived from insomnia problems and dealing with summer flu.

IF you have a good set up to prevent from a break in again... POST! i'd love to read it and brain storm a few ideas what i can do about my situation. The police wont do ****.... I know i will have to buy a new door, hinges, metal lock reinforcer, and dead bolts.

PS: Ed's right i have the worst luck nowadays :/ something is out to get me or something.

Not that they know what yo have for quads I would chain them or something incase they come back before you can fix the door... It sounds like a normal garage door... Can you set an anchor in the floor to pad lock it down and stick up enough that the door can't be kicked in?

nothing is impenetrable... all you can do is keep honest people honest & make things too hard for lazy people to steal.

If you put a latch on or something, don't just use screws that go into the door... use bolts long enough to go through & put a steel or aluminum plate on the inside to give it more bearing surface... things like that. It really sucks that you have to lock anything up or go out of your way to keep the things you work hard to pay for, but there are always Democrats out there looking for a handout & when they can't get one, they go make their own.

It opens inside? Stout setup with some metal to make an old fashioned bar across the door. They make kits.

^^x2 that's what I did. I aint taking any risks with the punks around this town. I just added some brackets/holders and laid a bar across. ( has brackets put into the door to, so it holds that bar in there.) Then added some bars across every window. Aint nobody stealing my Sh!t...

I would love to have a floor anchor. Don't think i can do this in my mom's garage. When i build myself one, i'll be sure to make a few of them! Thank you for giving me this idea!

Yup, when it opens the door go inside. Soon as you walk in, you have the option to turn left or keep going straight, few steps you'll be on the stairs going up to the loft. The stout idea sounds good to me. also I can put a 2x6 in between the door the stairs...... But I do not have a remote for my garage door opener :/

I know! Dude just chain up a wolverine outside your garage door and you'll be set. I know I wouldnt come anywhere near that garage. Just make sure it's nice to your family lol.

But in all honesty what I have built here Is pretty tough. I don't think it's all that possible to get through it unless you have some kind of machinery. Works great and didn't cost that much. Doesn't look pretty but oh we'll.

haha a wolverine. I have 2 dogs a bull dog and a lab. Both are very much a guard dog in the house and will bark at any noise at night. The lab will actually come up stairs and jump on my bed a couple time to wake me when i cant hear them down stairs. Apparently he didnt this time o.0

Yeah, long as it works for you buddy! I just need to redo my door with a new set up. appearance is not an issue to me, what matters is the function and purpose it serves. If my future security can slow down a theif or atleast stop them in their tracks, i'll be happy. Otherwise right now it's just easy access in and out with the weak door.

My last house in the UK the garage wasn't attached to the house, it was at the top of the garden with a rear access road going to it, a few of my mates are welders/fabricators so we gathered up some steel and made a new door in the side of the garage. All steel frame out of 2x4 box section, steel door 2x2 box covered with probably 16g steel, welded hinges, welded lock. It was big n heavy.. but very secure!

Back