2010 yfzx450---------> fail!

airmobile101

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Had the chance to work on and attempt to fix one of these bikes yesterday and today. After I got a few electrical issues resolved, I took it out for a spin. I always loved those YFZ's, so I was somewhat excited to try this out with EFI. This bike is by far the slowest thing I have ever ridden !!!! WTF????? Yea, its still all corked up,but for **** sakes, I rode corked 400ex's that go faster than this damn thing. lol

So, I suppose the owner would have to buy a programmer for this thing along with a exhaust for it to be half decent. Major fail!

Another thing I notice is this bike has a super hot exhaust. You can burn your hand literally from 2" away from the exhaust tip. Crazy??? Manny........ care to comment or give advise?
IMAG0013-1.jpg

u sure its running right? my buddies have efi yfzs with just pipe and programmers and they scoot!
edit they have the yfz R's

the EFI yfz's are by far the slowest YFZ out an they have been slow with developing power for them. i think FCI has a 480 kit for the EFI models an he has gotten low 60's out of it but i hear the efi models have a better suspention an ride much nicer that the old carbed bikes so i guess u trade power for comfort they are like the step children of yfz's lol

I've heard that its really hard to get past mid 50's on HP with those, I was talking to one builder (A very reputable one) about them, he was working one while I was there, he told that all he could get out of it on his dyno was about 54hp if I remember right, so he called another reputable builder and talked to him about his concerns and the other builder told him that that's all he is going to get and to tell the owner to enjoy it with all of it's other features.

Well....... The bike has been fixed, and she plans on trading it in on a 2012 YFZ450 carb bike. I don't think she wants to spend $800-$1000 for a programmer and exhaust. And to be honest, I don't blame her. Not when you can modify the stock airbox lid, re-jet and remove the pea shooter for practically for free and see some type of gain.
For shits and grins, I did remove the airbox lid on the YFZX while the bike was running. As soon as I removed the lid, I could hear the EFI attempting to adjust to the change. I then gave it some throttle and the bitch started to stumble on itself. Yea, Im not too impressed since I have owned a YFZ.

well seeing as Yamaha decided to go back to the carb should say alot about the way the EFI bike performed i mean maybe its some people cup of tea but deff not mine

not a fan of the yfz... any year! also not a fan of the kfx450

thank you for your valuable input on this thread..............................................comment like this could possibly be the reason it is hard to get riders of quads other than TRX's to come over here an support this forum "just sayn"

just my personal opinion. nothing against them, i have a few friends that ride kfx450s. just takes a lot of work and money to make them go

well seeing as Yamaha decided to go back to the carb should say alot about the way the EFI bike performed i mean maybe its some people cup of tea but deff not mine

They didn't completely drop the EFI. The YFZ450R has EFI, aluminum frame, dual piston calipers, etc. The standard YFZ450 has the carb, steel frame, single pot calipers, and a few other goodies missing from it.

They didn't completely drop the EFI. The YFZ450R has EFI, aluminum frame, dual piston calipers, etc. The standard YFZ450 has the carb, steel frame, single pot calipers, and a few other goodies missing from it.

i will take the weight gain an less "goodies" ( i was once told a grown man should never say the word "goodies" by the way lol) for a carbed bike that will be able to mod an produce power cheaper an easier than have an efi bike with no power so take notes yamaha!!! lol

as long as the owner has fun with whatever brand quad they have, then its alllll worth while. i think there all good''

The carb YFZ now also has shitty pogo stick front shocks, i guess they decided to downgrade it for some reason when they came out with the YFZR...

The carb YFZ now also has shitty pogo stick front shocks, i guess they decided to downgrade it for some reason when they came out with the YFZR...
Those new YFZ's with the pogo sticks are not that bad to be honest. It wouldn't matter to me since I would slap a aftermarket suspension on it anyways.

thank you for your valuable input on this thread..............................................comment like this could possibly be the reason it is hard to get riders of quads other than TRX's to come over here an support this forum "just sayn"

I would have to agree... I've owned the TRX450r, LTR450, KFX450 and now an Outlaw 450 MXR so I am very unbiased. I loved all the machines. They all had both pros and cons. None were close to perfect stock. Honestly the bike I modded the least was the LTR. I don't think any of the bikes are king of the hill. But every bike will probably tailor to a certain person better.

This 'downgraded' YFZ was in Dirt Wheels not long ago. They stripped all the parts mentioned and it's still $7k I think. I liked the EFI on the Kawi for easy tuneability and the throttle response, but there are a lot of headaches like more electronics and sensors that some with it. I'm glad I have a carb again, tho it isn't as smooth as the EFI was. Sucks to hear about the performance of the YFZ450x...

I would have to agree... I've owned the TRX450r, LTR450, KFX450 and now an Outlaw 450 MXR so I am very unbiased. I loved all the machines. They all had both pros and cons. None were close to perfect stock. Honestly the bike I modded the least was the LTR. I don't think any of the bikes are king of the hill. But every bike will probably tailor to a certain person better.

This 'downgraded' YFZ was in Dirt Wheels not long ago. They stripped all the parts mentioned and it's still $7k I think. I liked the EFI on the Kawi for easy tuneability and the throttle response, but there are a lot of headaches like more electronics and sensors that some with it. I'm glad I have a carb again, tho it isn't as smooth as the EFI was. Sucks to hear about the performance of the YFZ450x...
Racer point of view!!!!!!!!!!

As for the new 2012 YFZ450. I think its a bargain. I can fully set that bike up with a aftermarket suspension, Rekluse, and some odds and ends for around 10k including the bike price. YFZ is cheaper in the beginning to extract power from also compared to a Honda. The best part is the the brakes, I can get those off ebay all day for cheap. Honestly? What is there not to like about that 2012 YFZ? And the extra bonus is I won't have to gusset the hell out of the Yammi frame, unlike Honda.

Hopefully it's not a dog like the X you rode. If you're going to replace most of the parts with aftermarket I would have to agree with the cheaper model. Personally I usually just buy a mint used bike from the original owner bone stock for half price or less. Not like a warranty will serve me a purpose anyways.

I wonder how much more the base model with steel frame weighs over the aluminum. My Kawi frame was pretty damn light

Back