Advice: 250r?

Vinny

Well, I've been trying to save up for a 450r but at the moment I've found what 'seems' to me like a decent deal.

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-ATVs-snowmobiles-ATVs-Honda-TRX-250-W0QQAdIdZ377558756
Keep in mind, Canadian prices compared to US prices differ quite a bit it seems.
(Is it just me or does the subframe look tweaked to one side? Could just be uneven ground though. Other than it's obviously seen some wear and tear and the bumper looks like it was smacked pretty good. Clutch cover missing? Shift lever missing? Do you guys see anything I'm (most likely) missing?)

I've never owned a sport quad (discounting a little honda 90cc when I was younger), so basically I'm just looking for some advice on what I should do.

For 700 OBO I could maybe take it for 500 let's says. As far as I can tell, a good deal on 06+ 450r is 2500-4000 here. Good condition 250r's for about the same.
I ride mainly trails, some sand pits once in a while, but I'm open to trying xc, mx, and ice racing.

Would it be worth it to just continue saving up for a deal on a 450r, or look into this 250r assuming it runs?

I'd definately pick that up for that cheap! I love 250r's though..I wish I could find one like that...It's DEFINATELY been ridden but looks like with a rebuild it'd be half decent.

I'd snatch that up in a heart beat if it were me, but I'm a 250r nut... Even if you didn't want to keep it, It looks like you could get your money back easy at $5-700. You could probably get $400 for the Elka's alone. That being said, that quads a project, so don't buy it if you're looking to start riding next week. lol I would go into it assuming the engine will need to be rebuilt (even if it runs) and also expect to replace all the bearings, bushings etc. If you don't do those things, you'll probably end up chasing your tail, having to fix things on an ongoing basis (while your friends are out riding)... Do it right the first time and you'll have a bad a$$ quad that will last a LONG time.

Man Get him down to 500 And take it home !!!!Are those Elka`s on the front !!! Some say the 86 was the fastest year of the R`s

Cool. I'm gunna contact him to see if it's running or not. Either way, I'll probably go take a look at it in two or three days.

Admittedly, I'm not at all a gear head. But I'm willing to learn and this looks like a decent place to start.

Any idea how much it would cost for an engine rebuild and to replace the bearings, bushings etc?

Thanks guys.

Cool. I'm gunna contact him to see if it's running or not. Either way, I'll probably go take a look at it in two or three days.

Admittedly, I'm not at all a gear head. But I'm willing to learn and this looks like a decent place to start.

Any idea how much it would cost for an engine rebuild and to replace the bearings, bushings etc?

Thanks guys.
With out lookin at it its hard to tell !!! Its a 2 stroke so its way easier to rebuild !! and cheaper !!

Thanks guys.

Couple hundred for bearings (swingarm, axle, wheel bearings, a arms bushings etc.). Motor prices vary depending on whether you do it or you have someone do it and whether it's just a top end or a complete rebuild. I've bought and restored 3 250's (and working on another as we speak) and you're going to run into unexpected expenses. Things like swingarm bolts stuck, axle bearings welding themselves to the carrier, caliper rebuilds, shock rebuilds etc. I like to take a look at the quad and figure out a price based on what I see, then I double it to be safe. I'm not trying to scare you away from it, just setting expectations. These things are 25+ years old and most have been run pretty ragged.

That's not an 86, at least the frame and swingarm aren't. The swingarm is 88/89, they came with an aluminum swingarm. The frame also looks like 88/89, but could be a 87. (If I had a better pic of the footpegs I could tell for sure.) Maybe 86 motor? Could be a mixxed bag of parts. Still, for $500, looks like a good deal. Of course, how is parts availability up there in Canada for 250R's? You will for sure need parts for it, just depends on how much stuff is. OEM 250R parts have been getting more expensive over the years, I would bet even more so up in Canada. Also, alot of stuff is discontinued, but still pretty easy to find used stuff if you need something, but what you can get up in Canada would be my concern.

Doug

I can also get parts through the States if need be, otherwise I don't think it would be that hard to find what I need in Canada used or new.

My dad's lifelong friend owns a small motorsports company and his primary business is repairs.
He's a fairly knowledgeable guy and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to give advice or discounted work.
So it helps to know that if I do get stuck on something, I know I can count on this guy to not rip me off and offer solid advice. Plus he's got a mini track he lets us use =)

I don't expect to have it up and running right away but I think this is great opportunity to learn some valuable/practical knowledge.

---

Anyways, what are some of the things I should be looking for when I get a chance to see it in person?
Visible damage like a cracked case or cracked frame are the obvious ones I guess.

Crap. I never got a response to my email or text and the ad got taken down so it looks like it sold... maybe I shoulda called...

Ahh well. I'll keep looking.

Back