Anyone read the columbus telegram xmas article.

builder said:
Yes, I did. I'm on a yank board, so I go with the flow, mostly.

I try to keep in mind that what a word means to us isn't necessarily what it means to you and if the main banter back and forth is just between you and I, then I try to say it in terms that probably mean the same to both of us.

builder said:
Being sued seems to be a major problem in the US. Who created a law that could leave a major chain liable to prosecution for advertising christmas, for ****'s sake?

You're preaching to the choir on this one. I ****ing hate bloodsucking civil lawyers that just look for a reason to file a bullshit frivilant lawsuit against someone or a corporation just to make a buck. This **** just clogs the courts and is a drain on the economy. How do these assholes think the companies pay for the suits. They raise the prices for everyone else. You God damn bet they don't pay it out of the corporate exects saleries.

****ing Lawyers!

builder said:
No. Caving in is for gutless jerks. Stand up for your rights. If that **** was happening in Australia, we would all be laughing our guts out. If it did go to court, the public outcry would negate the court process, and we would boycott any chain store that supported such a lame excuse for political correctness. Like I said, grow some goddam balls.

The problem here is that the squeeky wheel gets the grease and the people bitching that they are offended, squeek louder. People generaly don't complain that they aren't offended.

The lawmakers/legislators need to grow some balls and make these frivilous lawsuits illegal. Saying Merry Christmas or whatever at a store doesn't interfere with someones beliefs.

All you gotta do is ignore it if it doesn't apply to you. When I'm at the airport and people are preaching their beliefs, I just ignore them and move on.

ImWithStupid said:
I try to keep in mind that what a word means to us isn't necessarily what it means to you and if the main banter back and forth is just between you and I, then I try to say it in terms that probably mean the same to both of us.

Fair call. Likewise here.

You're preaching to the choir on this one. I ****ing hate bloodsucking civil lawyers that just look for a reason to file a bullshit frivilant lawsuit against someone or a corporation just to make a buck. This **** just clogs the courts and is a drain on the economy. How do these assholes think the companies pay for the suits. They raise the prices for everyone else. You God damn bet they don't pay it out of the corporate exects saleries.

So why is the situation worsening, rather than improving? We are under the Westminster system of gov, meaning legal actions must climb through the hoops before getting to major lawsuits. Our magistrate's court would throw **** like this out before it even started. If the funds were available to take it to supreme court, it would still be chucked out as a waste of ****ing time and resources.

Oh, and you are more than correct in saying that **** like this clogs up the courts.

****ing Lawyers!

****ing law, more like. Lawyers might be scum, but they must follow the law.

The problem here is that the squeeky wheel gets the grease and the people bitching that they are offended, squeek louder. People generaly don't complain that they aren't offended.

I understand that. Same here. What needs to happen is that the squeaky wheels get soundly thrashed in public forums for airing such an obtusely useless set of morals. Rather than sitting back waiting for our values and rights to be eroded by shitbricks with a cross to bear, stand up to the ****ers, and let them know we are not going to put up with that ****. ****, I'm sounding like a ****ing squeaky wheel myself. :p See how those *****s flame me?

The lawmakers/legislators need to grow some balls and make these frivilous lawsuits illegal. Saying Merry Christmas or whatever at a store doesn't interfere with someones beliefs.

So appeal to your local member, and make sure he follows it up. We shouldn't have to do this, but if the lamos are more interested in shitholes like Iraq, then we need to ground them and bring their wandering heads back home, where it counts.

All you gotta do is ignore it if it doesn't apply to you. When I'm at the airport and people are preaching their beliefs, I just ignore them and move on.

I won't ignore the thin edge of the wedge. Next year, they might be trying to ban singing ****ing christmas carols. For ****'s sake. My old man used to invite all door-knocking evangalists in for a cuppa, then verbally tear strips off their scantily clad ideologies. I'm the same. If someone wants to force their values on me, I'll force mine on them. If they leave me alone, I'm a kitten. :D

Unfortunately it seems that in order to change the system in the US, you need:

a. Money
b. Power
c. Influence

It's hard for the average person to change anything unless it gets media attention or there is a high profile tradgedy that could have been prevented if things were different.

As for lawyers, yea, the law is flawed but that doesn't mean these bottom feeders have to exploit the flaw to gain a buck.

I have a problem with "Ambulence Chasing Attorneys" that capitalize on someone elses misfortune or accident.:mad:

I'm thinking about Erin Brockovitch, and that novel/movie, The Rainmaker.

I think of lawyers as tradesmen without tools. Maybe if they all carried a nail-belt, instead of searching for precedents to prop up their guilty clients, then something constructive might come from their efforts. :D

I don't hate all lawyers. I have nothing against attorneys that try to right a wrong or injustice. I think this is what the profession is meant to be and totally respect the few that take this noble approach to the trade.

I just hate how the profession has become a perverted, money driven, festering boil of a job that most lawyers subscribe to.

ImWithStupid said:
I don't hate all lawyers. I have nothing against attorneys that try to right a wrong or injustice. I think this is what the profession is meant to be and totally respect the few that take this noble approach to the trade.

I just hate how the profession has become a perverted, money driven, festering boil of a job that most lawyers subscribe to.

Can I have an Amen? ;)

ToriAllen said:
That's great, but...She won't shop at Target 'because they are owned by the French'. I can tell her, my mother can tell her, everyone she knows can tell her that her perception isn't true. It doesn't matter. Once she has an idea in her head that's it. This is the woman that I have described in other threads as being so gullible as to believe every email that she gets. She is the typical paranoid old woman who still looks at the Enquirer as a credible news source.
I like Wal-mart. I have had people at Wal-mart wish me Merry Christmas and have seen decorations at the ones around here...Doesn't matter to her.

Tori,

I got this e-mail and it reminded me of your story about your grandma.

I must add my special thanks to whoever sent me the one about rat poop in the glue on envelopes, because I now have to get a wet towel for every envelope that needs sealing. Also, I scrub the top of every can I open for the same reason.
I want to thank all of you who have taken the time and trouble to send me your chain letters over the past 12 months. Thank you for making me safe, secure, blessed, and wealthy.
I no longer use Saran wrap in the microwave, because it causes cancer. And I no longer drink bottles of water that have been frozen since they release a poison from the plastic bottle once thawed.
I no longer check the coin return on pay phones or pump my own gasoline because I could be *****ed with a needle infected with AIDS.
I no longer use cancer-causing deodorants, even though I smell like a water buffalo on a hot day.
I no longer go to shopping malls, because someone will drug me with a perfume sample and rob me.
I no longer receive packages from UPS, or FedEx, since they are actually Al Qaeda in disguise.
I no longer shop at Target, since they are French and don't support Our American Troops, or the Salvation Army.
I no longer answer the phone, because someone will ask me to dial a number for which I will get a phone bill with calls to Jamaica, Uganda, Singapore, and Uzbekistan at $750 per minute.
I no longer eat KFC, because their chickens are actually horrible Mutant freaks with no eyes or feathers.
I no longer have any sneakers -- but that will change once I receive my free replacement pair from Nike.
I no longer buy expensive cookies from Neiman Marcus, since I now have their recipe.
I no longer worry about my soul, because I have 363,214 angels looking out for me, and St. Theresa's novena has granted my every wish.
Thanks to you, I have learned that God only answers my prayers if I forward an email to seven of my friends and make a wish within five minutes.
I no longer have any savings, because I gave it to a sick girl, who is about to die in the hospital (for the 1,387,258th time).
I no longer have any money at all, but that will change once I receive the $15,000 that Microsoft and AOL are sending me for participating in their special email program.
Yes, I want to thank you so much for looking out for me, and I will now return the favor!
If you don't send this message to at least 144,000 people in the next 60 minutes, a large seagull with a bowel problem will land on your head at 5:00 PM (EST) this afternoon and have an accident. I know this will occur, because it actually happened to a friend of my next door neighbor's ex-mother-in-law's second husband's cousin's beautician!
And last of all, have a blessed day!

Amazing how many people believe everything that comes in and e-mail.:(

ImWithStupid said:
Tori,

I got this e-mail and it reminded me of your story about your grandma.
I love it. I'll have to send that one to her, with a few additions here and there.

Back