Australian Bushfires

woodyloveslinkin

aka Gloomy Mushroom
If all of LPF hasn't seen it on their televison screens about whats happening for us Aussies, here's what's been happening:
  • 181 people to this date are dead due to monster bushfires in Victoria (the state).
  • The death toll is expected to reach 300
  • Identification is hard due to the severity of the victims
  • Donations have exceeded AU$10 Million
  • We have received condolences from President Obama and the Queen for the first time.
  • Three interstate firefighting teams have been called in to fight the blaze
  • Up to three fires that have caused lives and sheer destruction have been lit by assholes.
  • It's been described as "mass murder".
  • Under the Victorian Crimes Act, when caught, these guys can be up for life in prison as IT IS mass murder.
  • 100 people have been admitted to hospital with at least 20 critical and the same people treating them worked on the Bali Bombings.
  • We have recieved more condolences from the French President, Prime Minister of New Zealand, Chancellor of Germany, Thailand and Indonesia have offered their services for victim identiication..and the list just goes on..
  • And on top of that, while at the north, Queenland, around the Ingham area and there, they're suffering from the worst floods and as a result, Dengue Fever is in the air.
Image of how bad the smoke is:
50451255ba85430a5df638aa7792422a.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Victorian_bushfires < for more

I know, it's insane, floods north of us, fires south; this country is a land of extremes sure but that's just crazy! I'd like to say a lot to this but really I can't. The notion though that those caught will be 'persecuted to the full extent of the law' makes me laugh bitterly. That in Aussie terms means another slap on the wrist as usual. This country frustrates me sometimes as much as I love it. And Rudd's notion of throwing money all over the place any time a problem crops up only heightens my apprehension. What happens when the money's thrown? Will those that need it get it? Rarely do; look at the various drought and flood victims who've been ignored for years. I hope this isn't another catastrophe being milked dry for all the wrong reasons. My heart goes out to those poor buggers, trully it does.
Good to see so many others getting behind them, including the schools donating thousands from gold-coin donations. Just a shame that after years of neglect in annual budget as usual when the SES and fire services are needed they've had no funding to draw resources from. Oh so typical. Lets hope this disaster at least changes that for the better.
And I sincerely hope the death toll doesn't climb any higher.
I hope when they catch the bastards that are responsible, they sat them alight too so they know what it's like to suffer in pain alone and terrified. There is no excuse.

the weather is crazy, like LOCO

floods in the north, floods in port maq, random rain storms, heat waves, cold days, bush fires in melbourne, EPIC heat waves in melb and adelaide

this is beyond crazy...

im so glad even in this time of recession that aussies can still dig as deep as they can, something like reportedly 150mil donated! thts not even counting government help

though no matter how much cash u inject, ull never bring back the dead, nor the memories that were lost in those awful days =\

WTF poor thing to Australia the weather is so HOT it's gonna burning the house down dude and a few days ago haze invaded in Singapore

We have 'outback themed' steakhouses in the 'city' (and I use the term loosely) here in 'Woombaville. And back home in the outback (literally, in the red dust, cattle farms and heat) where my family are from, there's a stack of them too. It's more typical though to have pubs than steakhouses, but we still chuck a mad Barbie (have a BBQ) when the will takes us! Haha - patriotism to the max! :D

lol so im assuming you guys don't have like an actual outback steahouse
thats the name of the resturaunt. lol its like an australian themed resturant here in america
The Outback Steakhouse? Naw. Never heard of that. We've got SSS Saloon Bar etc, pfft, that's crap anyhoo. Oh and the Aussie Outback Spectacular which is a huge stadium where people sit up and eat 3 course meals in the bleachers while horseshows and stuff prance around in the main arena beneath ya. Sounds swish, but means squat to me. I grew up watching that crap, I don't need to eat at places like that to be reminded where my roots are ;)

And Sarah *lol* I know, I like that Red Rooster add. Downtown NY, Times Square. Aussie asking random Americans on street where he can find a Red Rooster restuarant.
Vaguely, of course not exactly word for word, but goes something along these lines;
Aussie: "Where can I find a BBQ Chicken?"
American (picture stereotypical big guy from maybe Jersey): "What you mean you don't fry it?"
Aussie: "How would you like to win (x amount) of reddies?" (our $20 note is a red/orange colour)
American (picture a yokel, with that southern drawl): "Wow, thats' what y'all's money looks like?"
Aussie: "How would you like to win a ute?" (Nationally recognised Aussie car, pronounced: "Yoot")
American (some chick, actually not blonde): "A goat?"

God bless you Americans. Make us laugh everytime XD

On a side note, what any of this has to do with the Bushfires is beyond me, but while it's Australian-related I guess it's not 100 % spam :confused:

Buuuuuuurnnn !

dude perfect timing.

IDK if anyone knows but i was watching discover channel and it was had to with the weather. Now all i heard from the show was this guy talking about how there is this weather machine that the gov of U.S. is controlling it. So that's all i heard. Didn't hear the whole thing.

Back