Better than Chester?

ugur90

Do you think theres a singer in today's rock music industry who is better than him and has the similiar style....i can't find any.....for people that are gonna say Gerard Way go to hell.. I love MCR but he can't sing for jack **** and I'm kinda disappointed that Chester said in an interview that he's one of the best singers rite nw....so yea back to the question..what are your thoughts

Sure hes unique, but he has no versatility its either scream or sooth. So yea Chester has a great voice but as a vocalist he lets himself down in so many areas & his vocals are already shot and going down from the sounds of things they sounded so flat on M2M.

I personally think these people are better vocalists:
Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
Issacc Brock (Modest Mouse)
Kevin Barnes (of Montreal)
Patrick Wolf
Avey Tare (Animal Colective)

All of the above emit unforced emotion, have range and are unique. They all have original voices and dont have to emit to shouting to put out emotion all the time, Chester has a strong voice but is just so 1 dimensional and predictable.

Maynard James Keenan: Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer

Maynard_James_Keenan.jpg

I swear he looks like the skinny version of Fester

That's probably a compliment, to be honest. Especially compared to his on-stage performance mannerisms. He doesn't play to the crowd at all, the only satisfaction he gives them is that he happens to be having a microphone in his hand. The rest of him is fully devoted to the inspiration he had when recording that song. He forces himself down into the spot in his head where he was when he wrote it, and you can tell, because his knees start shaking and he becomes an entirely different person. Definitely uncomfortable with his own head. It's real. I think it's funny how Maynard can be barely listening to the music and not even focusing, and still sing better than Chester who looks like he's really trying hard everytime he starts to sing. Maynard is just God with vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3FTiWRXF8

Unlike Chester, he actually sings better live than he does on the record. You feel the conviction more, but he doesn't lose any of the notes.

Plus, he knows martial arts. And uses it. A lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HROSln41k0

That's probably a compliment, to be honest. Especially compared to his on-stage performance mannerisms. He doesn't play to the crowd at all, the only satisfaction he gives them is that he happens to be having a microphone in his hand. The rest of him is fully devoted to the inspiration he had when recording that song. He forces himself down into the spot in his head where he was when he wrote it, and you can tell, because his knees start shaking and he becomes an entirely different person. Definitely uncomfortable with his own head. It's real. I think it's funny how Maynard can be barely listening to the music and not even focusing, and still sing better than Chester who looks like he's really trying hard everytime he starts to sing. Maynard is just God with vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw3FTiWRXF8

Unlike Chester, he actually sings better live than he does on the record. You feel the conviction more, but he doesn't lose any of the notes.

Plus, he knows martial arts. And uses it. A lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HROSln41k0

Compliment or not.. decide for yourself, It wasn't bad intended anyway :)
I respect the guy even though i don't listen to their music.

And to the topic.. I don't think think you can compare someone to chester.

And to the topic.. I don't think think you can compare someone with chester.

Yeah, you're right. Chester shouldn't be subjected to comparison. He's sensitive.

I distinctly remember somewhere on this forum, when I compared Rob to drummers like Danny Carey or Mike Portnoy, they said, "Hey, that's not fair, Linkin Park can't be compared to those bands!"

Which is very true. Linkin Park can't compare to those bands.

I actually think Linkin Park are one of the best live bands they have much more energy and the quality is good other bands live performances are **** compared to the record versions

Yeah, you're right. Chester shouldn't be subjected to comparison. He's sensitive.

I distinctly remember somewhere on this forum, when I compared Rob to drummers like Danny Carey or Mike Portnoy, they said, "Hey, that's not fair, Linkin Park can't be compared to those bands!"

Which is very true. Linkin Park can't compare to those bands.

LOL That was me! Yay! lol....Yeah I think it's only fair to compare bands to other "same genre" bands, but single players, Singers, Drummers, can be compared to any bands with in the same Frame, such as comparing Brad to Slash, it's just truly fair, seeing as how Slash is just so much MORE into what he does...I think you know what I am saying

Take the screaming away..and you have Bono

Yeah I said Bono...he's better than Chester...

Bono > Chester, only because Bono has been around more, has done more, has sung more, and knows more, and isn't ripping off any other legends on there recent album

LOL That was me! Yay! lol....Yeah I think it's only fair to compare bands to other "same genre" bands, but single players, Singers, Drummers, can be compared to any bands with in the same Frame, such as comparing Brad to Slash, it's just truly fair, seeing as how Slash is just so much MORE into what he does...I think you know what I am saying

Oh. Well, anyway, If you look it up, a lot of Nu Metal Bands' vocalists list Maynard James Keenan as their primary inspiration for vocals. Go see. Go on, go on, I don't have all day.

I actually think Linkin Park are one of the best live bands they have much more energy and the quality is good other bands live performances are **** compared to the record versions

That's actually um, very contradicting, because Linkin Park's stuff sounds very very poor compared to their album stuff because they just can't replicate live what they do in the studio. Come on, you have a brain, try to use it a little more than your lips.

Yeah, but if you're actually at the concert, you don't notice that. Well I definatly don't when i've seen them, but when i've seen some live videos, I notice.

chester isn't the greatsest vocalist and lots of guys sing better, but screaming i think he has it pretty good and he pulls it off nice and clean. I agree with Acezorz that live concerts on DVD and stuff i've seen they sound really good, i have yet to see them live to judge though, but i dont think i'd be disappointed, i think chester holds his own even if other male vocalists sing better.

nah, for example the guitars haven't sounded as well live as from the studio. for the first two albums at least they were fiffing the guitars so much and layering them with effects and stuff that couldnt be adequately replicated live
for mtm though, it's more organic and easier to replicate live

Back