Beyond Hardcore Metal bands

BextheHex

For those Major metal heads out there...which bands you know of that are way beyond hardcore..?

for me it has to be

bloodbath

how i came across them i was bored and just typed in Bloodbath on Playlist.com

and songs by them came up and i checked out one and i was blown away by how Heavy they were

so yea ...post who you think is beyond hard core metal...

first off, for the most part, hardcore and metal are two distinctly different things. of course a lot of the time they blend and you often cant tell the difference but there are two seperate audiences and movements.
I guess to sum it up you could say you have there two types of heavy music that come about with vastly different approaches.

now, beyond hardcore metal? what the hell does that mean? are you searching for bands that are of the most extreme sort?

if you're looking for extremities you can veer off into a few different directions I guess. Firstly I'd mention the most extreme hardcore and metalcore bands. First pick has to be Converge. A band simply insane. Check out their albums from When forever comes crashing and onwards. 2nd mention would be The Secret. Italian band in a similar vein to Converge but much heavier and darker. not as aggressive. 3rd I'd say Celestine, check out At the Borders of Arcadia, probably the heaviest thing I've ever heard. they're metalcore as well.

in heavy metal there are a few subgenres you could go by. Check out black metal like Dimmu borgir, Enslaved, Emperor, Immortal, Gorgoroth, Mayhem, Burzum.
Bloodbath is kind of old school death metal so I guess for that you'd check out Bathory, Death and such, Im less familiar with death than black though, so...
prog death, check out Opeth, really unique band.
then you could go for thrash like Slayer

I can only think of Cannibal Corpse, but to you lot they may sound pussified or something ;) They're heavy as far as my musical tastes go. Of course I'm not as edumacated as Vi here on the subject, but then again he's far more into it than me. I'm... not sure what I am musically. I just know what I like, I don't give two-hoots for the genre really, I'm too old for that XD

in case more people will stumble in here or the thread maker wants more I'll add what I forgot in my first post...

Breach
Swedish unorthodox hardcore. Their most exciting feature (aside from agressiveness on par with the best other hc bands) has to be their atonality and use of dissonance. And they don't get that freakish clown sound when they play off scales, they get this really weird sad and atmospheric sound sometimes. It works anyway.

Cult of Luna
another swedish band haha. called post-metal but they are much more than that. First albums are really really dark and extreme and agressive, hardcore-influenced. After that they started mixing it with more sludge as well as ambience and atmospheric stuff

Meshuggah
third swedish band...seriously whats the deal with all those great swedish bands? anyway they play technical experimental death metal. they use 8 string guitars, meaning they in reality have 3 basses, and play really deep and dark tones using extreme dissonance at times and robotic vocals. very technically proficient, their guitar playing stamina is amazing...and they play in all these weird syncopated rhythms and different time meteres like 15/8 and 9/8 and stuff

Neurosis
the band that influenced a lot of great bands like Isis and Cult of Luna. experimental rock. tough to lump into categories but its a great band

Orchid
the most extreme of screamo. screamo so extreme its starting to sound like grindcore or black metal

Napalm Death
grindcore. very fast, very extreme

Celeste
some kind of hardcore meets sludge with extreme dissonance

Buried Inside
atmospheric metalcore. mixing dark ambience with heavy frantic guitar chapters

yep Im prolly forgetting something great :/

I'm not incredibly into metal, but I do like Metallica, Disturbed, Stonesour, NIN, and Evanscece. According to Windows Media Player those are all metal *shrug*

Hey, that's the year my brother was born. Clearly his existence made Metallica start going bad. Tsk, go figure Bro.

Really, I don't know when which Metallica albums came out. I mainly just know individual songs. Er, Fight Fire with Fire, Master of Puppets, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Enter Sandman, Ride the Lightning, Blackened, And Justice For All, Sad But True - can't think of any others. Puppets and Lightning are probably my favorites of this bunch.

^ Their black album (self titled) was the best IMHO.

And I don't necessarily agree with the statement American Hardcore is better than others. Years ago a penpal from Germany came to visit me when I was still living out back. He brought these 2 CDs with him. My lord they were heavy. For the life of me I can't remember what they were called (I remember the covers, but be damned if I know even what year they were produced) - and at the time my musical tastes were still somewhat mellow so i didn't really appreciate them. Shame. But yeah, they were my real introduction to that really heavy sound, even before CC, early Sepultura, and so on.

Hey, that's the year my brother was born. Clearly his existence made Metallica start going bad. Tsk, go figure Bro.

Really, I don't know when which Metallica albums came out. I mainly just know individual songs. Er, Fight Fire with Fire, Master of Puppets, For Whom the Bell Tolls, Enter Sandman, Ride the Lightning, Blackened, And Justice For All, Sad But True - can't think of any others. Puppets and Lightning are probably my favorites of this bunch.
hehe its alright.

all those except Enter Sandman and Sad but True are from before '91, and those get my stamp of approval lol
MOP is just phenomenal...

now, Rav, I think the person was talking about American metal, not American hardcore.

I think personally Im into much more of American hardcore than metal. I think aside from thrash America wasn't really that much in the role of spawning the metal genres...black metal being created and perfected in Norway, death metal being created in the States but perfected in Sweden, heavy metal in general of course stemming from Black Sabbath...

Yup. For American metal I think Killswitch Engage, Metallica (of course you guys said that), All That Remains, Slayer, Machine Head, Megadeth, Damageplan, Gwar, and well that's all I know!

And my friend actaully is way into Metallica to a point where I really don't need to look up info on the internet for Metallica. I just ask the guy and their. Well as far as the albums....I have all of them..well burned actually. I guess the fav song I like of theirs are (not in order):
Fade To Black (Ride The Lightning)
Sad But True (Black Album)
Master Of Puppets (Master of Puppets)
One (...And Justice For All)
Enter Sandman (Black Album)
Feul (Reload)
Dyers Eve (..And Justice For All)
Hit The Lights (Kill 'Em All)
Blackened (...And Justice For All)
...And Justice For All (...And Justice Fo All)
To Live Is To Die (...And Justive For All)
The Unforgiven 1 (Black Album)
The Unforgiven 2 (Reload)
The unforgiven 3 (Death Magnetic)
St. Anger (St. Anger)
Frantic (St. Anger)
And all of Death Magnetic

Yeah I kinda do get into their songs to a point where I wanna find out when it was made etc.

Back