Brain test. Will you get an A or an F?

Jhony5

OK, this is a strange little brain test. Count the F's as you read along. Do not review the sentence after your initial try.

Read the following sentence:

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Now count aloud the F's in that sentence. Count them ONLY ONCE; do not go back and count them again.

How many F's did you count the first time?

According to the article I found this test with, the human mind often recognizes the sequence of the letters O and F together as the letter V. On average most people are said to find only 4 F's on the first try. Me, I'll admit I only counted 5 the first time. Many of the people from the board I found this posted at only found 3 F's over and over again. So I thought I'd see how you fare people did with it. Just to see if anyone actually admits they only counted 3 or 4 F's. Some people are to vain to admit it though.

eddo said:
I got 6, but only because I've seen this before. :)
How did you do the first time? I'm trying to figure if this test is legit. From what I saw on the board I found it at, it consistently threw people off and it seemed as thorugh 75% or so of people failed to count 6 F's. Maybe it's, as Builder would say, Bullocks.

The explanation I heard was that the better readers had more trouble with "of" counting, because they heard the sounds rather than painfully spelling out each word.
I think this exercise displays one's abilities in the area reading comprehension, rather than overall intelligence. It would also make a difference, I believe, if you were fully awake or not.

NazzNegg2 said:
I counted 7...... 6 is the wrong answer, there are actually 7 F's

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

I see 6.

Here is another one: How many 7's do you come across when you count from 1 to 100?

Answer Below... (you will need to highlight the text since it will be invisible for a black background)

7, 17, 27, 37, 47, 57, 67, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 87, 97.

Phantom said:
FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

I see 6.

Here is another one: How many 7's do you come across when you count from 1 to 100?

Answer Below... (you will need to highlight the text since it will be invisible for a black background)

7, 17, 27, 37, 47, 57, 67, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 87, 97.

It's the taking of the Pelham 1 2 3.

I counted 6, but only because I have taken this test in the past and remembered that most people don't count the "f" in "of" so I was extra diligent in my counting.

Back