Can they quit on their own?

Anonymous

Friday night, I went to see an old friend and her daughter. We were taking our kids to a dance. All went well until after we got back to her house. She was in the bathroom for what seemed forever. So I went in and found her smoking crack. I was furious she would even do that with children in the house. I told her she can't do that with kids in the house; so she quickly gathered her things and said "I'm going to the store I'll be back in 15 minutes". Well you guessed it, the bitch didn't come back til 11:00am the next day. I let her have it and I will never see her again, and now she keeps calling me (prob afraid I'll call CPS on her) trying to convince me she will never do that again and she's gonna quit. My question is can a crack addict just quit?

No. They need to be motivated to quit for themselves, not because of obligation. Haven't seen the crack head yet who could, even when faced with the possibility of losing their child. One of the things I did with my best friend and even my brother, is just take them out and get them high on weed instead.

I'm happy to say my brother is now crack free, and my best friend is drug free altogether.

Between the 2, I'd say she was addicted worse.

Weed is a gateway drug all right... a gateway to sobriety for many people.

phreakwars said:
No. They need to be motivated to quit for themselves, not because of obligation. Haven't seen the crack head yet who could, even when faced with the posibility of losing their child. One of the things I did with my best friend and even my brother, is just take them out and get them high on weed instead.

I'm happy to say my brother is now crack free, and my best friend is drug free altogether.

Between the 2, I'd say she was addicted worse.

Weed is a gateway drug all right... a gateway to sobriety for many people.
What if they don't like weed; and have already been through rehab like 5 times? Is there anything else that can help people like this other than rehab?

No. Crack addicts absolutely cannot quit on their own. I know she is your friend but please, please report this for the sake of her child. I hate being a rat but this child comes first. Please, please, please do something for the child's sake. He or she does not deserve a crack addict for a mother.

atlantic said:
What if they don't like weed; and have already been through rehab like 5 times? Is there anything else that can help people like this other than rehab?
If that's the case, then this person really doesn't want to quit.

Weed, if anything, is a diversion... almost like chewing on a carrot instead of a cigarette.

Plus it relaxes a person... a very opposite effect of crack.

Of course initally a crackhead will say "WEED SUCKS".. This is because it is giving them an opposite effect that they crave.

But in the end, forcing the opposite effect into someone will have a positive effect.

Think of when you are mad.. heart pumping... blood raging... if you were forced to calm down with a dose of say morphine, your mind tells you to fight, but your body tells you to relax.

Your mind is a powerful thing, it can make your body keep going, but it has no power over things that make your body slow down.

In all seriousness, anybody that I have ever known including my best friend and brother, who has ever kicked the habit, has done so by allowing themselves to rest, one way or another.

By rest, I don't mean loafing around, by rest, I mean letting their mind find a relaxing state first that tells their body to relax.

phreakwars said:

Weed, if anything, is a diversion... almost like chewing on a carrot instead of a cigarette.

Plus it relaxes a person... a very opposite effect of crack.

Of course initally a crackhead will say "WEED SUCKS".. This is because it is giving them an opposite effect that they crave.

But in the end, forcing the opposite effect into someone will have a positive effect.

Think of when you are mad.. heart pumping... blood raging... if you were forced to calm down with a dose of say morphine, your mind tells you to fight, but your body tells you to relax.

Your mind is a powerful thing, it can make your body keep going, but it has no power over things that make your body slow down.

In all seriousness, anybody that I have ever known including my best friend and brother, who has ever kicked the habit, has done so by allowing themselves to rest, one way or another.

By rest, I don't mean loafing around, by rest, I mean letting their mind find a relaxing state first that tells their body to relax.
Good points. I only know of one person who ever kicked this habit, and she claims to have done so by reading constantly and working 2 jobs to keep it out of her head.

phreakwars said:

Exactly! She has no intention of quitting. Getting her child taken away will at least get the child out of the situation. The parents can either enjoy prison, rehab, or get as high as their hearts desire. At least the CHILD will be out of it. That's all that matters to me. Let people destroy themselves with their own stupidity but do NOT destroy a child because of it.

You can quit crack by yourself but it’s extremely difficult. Like Phreak said you have to want to quit. That and meth are the scourge of the earth. Without intervention I wouldn’t believe that bitch as far as I could throw her. She left her kid with you? Holy ****! Do her kid a favor and report her. I know it’s harsh but it’s gonna be the best thing. If she neglected the child once she will do it again. And probably wasn’t the first time either.

So true... and it will only be a matter of... "who do I leave the kid with now ?"

Damn you NARC !!

**** em, they should be greatful the child was safe at least this time.

Why chance a child's next time ??

One of my best friends was a closet crackhead. We hung out every weekend for a long time. He always ragged at me for smoking weed and my once in a while indulgence in coke. In fact I thought he was very anti-drug. One day he calls me to bail him out of county. Being that he has never got in trouble of any kind I agreed. I paid the bail and waited for him to be processed. On the ride home he told me the whole story. He'd been smoking crack for almost 2 years and said as hard as he tried he couldn't quit.
Being that he was a good friend I kicked his ass and through him out on Ashland Ave.
He called me a couple weeks later from a halfway house and thanked me for doing what I did. First time I ever I was thanked for kicking someones ass and putting him out in the ghetto.
We got together a couple months later after he was done with rehab. That was 15 years ago and to this day he is still clean, married and runs a successful business.
Moral of the story. Kick the **** out of her. It worked for him and might work for her.

phreakwars said:
So true... and it will only be a matter of... "who do I leave the kid with now ?"

Damn you NARC !!

**** em, they should be greatful the child was safe at least this time.

Why chance a child's next time ??
I wouldn't consider it being a narc if it saves her life, she had her first 2 boys taken away for the same thing, struggled with it for years, 5 rehabs later thought she got it right, she had a little girl, did good for 2 years maybe 3 who knows, and now right back to square one. She once disappeared for a year and god only knows what she got into. Before she did cocaine; has since graduated to crack, I hear it's even more addictive then just doing lines.

Hello, I'm new here and came across this thread. I would say some can quit if they are motivated enough to do so. No one can force them to, though, and like it was said in the thread already, even losing a kid won't stop the madness.
I do have a daughter that was into crack for about a year. She ended up on the street in a very hard town. When she was tossed into jail and called for me to bail her out I didn't until the weekend was over. She decided right there the street life wasn't for her and all by herself, got off the street, off the crack and eventually, off of everything and through a trade school.
Shes now married, to a state trooper, has two kids and tomorrow, she and the boys are going to Waikiki with me for a long weekend.
This is just one story. I've heard of another young girl who succeeded vs. fifty that haven't.
If quitting cigarettes is hard and Crack is one hundred times harder, Id say, turn the woman into Child services now. You can do it anonymously.

Phantom said:
No. Crack addicts absolutely cannot quit on their own. report this for the sake of her child.

Anonymous said:
Yeah, a .38 to the temple.

GF said:
Being that he was a good friend I kicked his ass and through him out on Ashland Ave.

**** them up, report them, and if all else fails shoot them....... uh... right.

well, I'm not sure about the shooting part, but the rest looks good, just remember, NA meetings are bullshit, and don't trust them, especially a girl, to quit on their own.

just advice, take it with a grain of salt, but i say force her to spend time with her kids, ALLOT of time, if she refuses threaten to turn her in, make them go to chuck e cheese or something, find out who she gets it from and make sure she avoids them or others that do it, DON'T BE SOFT! and if you find her doing it, kick her ass, soap in a towel usually won't leave big marks, and a gut shot usually leaves only faint marks. that's my 2 cents, but like i said, take it with a grain of salt.

on another note, i had a friend who does crack and meth, i had to kick his ass a few times to keep him from hurting me over stupid ****, normally I'd never actually get into it with him, but when he's on drugs, it's like the normal him just walked out of his body and left a retarded violent animal behind. i think he still does that ****.....

hugo said:
What Kind Of People Do Y'all Hang Around With?
Lately, a shitload of liars :cool: A little history though, I've known her for 20 years. I was friends with her sister first, when I first met her she didn't drink, smoke, or do drugs. She was the straightest person I've ever known, she took a job as a stripper and well the rest is history; she hasn't been the same since. Shame too because she used to be a real sweet person.

snafu said:
You can quit crack by yourself but it’s extremely difficult. Like Phreak said you have to want to quit. That and meth are the scourge of the earth. Without intervention I wouldn’t believe that bitch as far as I could throw her. She left her kid with you? Holy ****! Do her kid a favor and report her. I know it’s harsh but it’s gonna be the best thing. If she neglected the child once she will do it again. And probably wasn’t the first time either.
Damn Snaffie, "She left her kid with you? Holy ****!, what are you trying to imply here. Her daughter is safe with me, although, the poor thing cried until 12:15 at night for her mommie, she also had an allergic reaction (which I gave her the medicine she needed) - her mother wouldn't answer my cellphone calls to her even though I left msgs regarding her dghtrs allergic reaction. She also left me no diapers - yeah 3 yrs old and the poor kid is not potty trained, and had no diaper on at all. When she woke up at 6:00am she let out a blood curdling scream once she didn't see her momma there, I comforted her all night, and even made up a story that mommie was out shopping for her birthday present which was the next day, and made her breakfast and had to put her first before my own poor son who wanted to go home. So please dont insult me.

atlantic said:
Damn Snaffie, "She left her kid with you? Holy ****!, what are you trying to imply here....please dont insult me.

I think he means the mother just ran off and left her child at home with whoever happened to be there... which happened to be you. I didn't take it as a dig against you but as a dig against the mother for dumping her children on her company while she went to get high.

Back