Canada/US Relations.

TheJenn88 said:
I'm afraid I missed your point. Was it that the world loves Canadians? Because that's a **** point. We can't bank on everyone adoring us for a reputation we don't have. We're weak. We're not peaceful (or maybe we're a mix of both?). Either way, if the point you're trying to make is that being Canadian makes us safe, you're wrong. Canadians died on 9/11. Canadian troops are dying in Afghanistan. Real hate - recklessness, killing indiscriminantly - that DOESN'T assign nationalities to death. The people everyone should worry about are those people who kill for the sake of killing.

Dear Hamza, I don't even know why you were asking me if I knew about the hostages or not. Do you take me for someone who doesn't know ANYthing? I may not know everything, but for the goodness's sake, don't think I don't have access to a fricken TV, newspaper, or internet.

If I have still missed your point entirely, I'm afraid you must attempt to make one next time you post. Your regurgitation of released Canadian hostages makes for a rather vague and/or frivolous point.

Julian Sher, webmaster of JournalismNet, wrote a book called "White Hoods: Canada's Ku Klux Klan" and produced several TV documentaries on hate groups.

TheJenn88 said:
I'm afraid I missed your point. Was it that the world loves Canadians? Because that's a **** point. We can't bank on everyone adoring us for a reputation we don't have. We're weak. We're not peaceful (or maybe we're a mix of both?). Either way, if the point you're trying to make is that being Canadian makes us safe, you're wrong. Canadians died on 9/11. Canadian troops are dying in Afghanistan. Real hate - recklessness, killing indiscriminantly - that DOESN'T assign nationalities to death. The people everyone should worry about are those people who kill for the sake of killing.

Dear Hamza, I don't even know why you were asking me if I knew about the hostages or not. Do you take me for someone who doesn't know ANYthing? I may not know everything, but for the goodness's sake, don't think I don't have access to a fricken TV, newspaper, or internet.

If I have still missed your point entirely, I'm afraid you must attempt to make one next time you post. Your regurgitation of released Canadian hostages makes for a rather vague and/or frivolous point.

Sorry for my un-informative post. I was in a hurry.

I just meant that Canadians have always been the ones to go in talking rather than shooting. We're peacekeepers, not soldiers. There are only like what, 2,000 Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan, and 6 killed in 2002-2005 of either a Landmine or Friendly Fire. Only one was killed in a suicide attack and another in a vehicle rollover. In 2006 so far, 1 has been killed from a suicide attack, and he wasn't even a soldier, just a diplomat. 3 have been killed from vehicle rollovers. NOW THATS GOOD FOR A DAMN WARZONE! Many people in Palestine are Lebanese, and Canada again, sent peacekeepers to Lebanon during the 1980's civil war in Beirut. You go to Afghanistan, and you see soldiers without their weapons holsters walking up to civilians and comforting them and they usually get a nice response back. (You can thank the US for actually succeeding in that Middle Eastern/Asian country)

"I'm an Afghan-Canadian. By coming here, I actually do something for both countries. Yeah, I love this country. I want to do something. These people, they suffered a lot. I know what they went through," Bashir says.

The convoy makes an unscheduled stop to help out farmers with a tractor stuck in a dried out riverbed. This is more of a neighbourly helping hand than a combat operation, but combat operations will get nowhere if local people aren't on the Canadians' side. They got a chilly reception here a few weeks ago, for example.

"It was pretty cold, pretty wary, not very trustful, but little acts like this go a long way," says one of the soldiers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/afghanistan/kandahar_patrol.html

Perhaps to some, it make seem like an intense war. However for modern standards of a war this isn't very dangerous. I recently asked a few soldiers in Iraq about what they think of Canadian Troops in Afghanistan. They laughed, and said, yep, canadians doing their thing, keeping the peace and basically getting in touch with civilians.

My point is, Canada's chances of being attacked are very slim. When I travel to countries like Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Dubai, Lebanon, and Syria, I always take my HUGE Canadian Flagged beach umbrella, and the people there love me.

In general, if you live in North America, your chances of being attacked by a terrorist are slimer than if you were to get killed while swimming, driving, or crossing the street at an intersection.

Terrorists drive cabs in Montreal during the off-season. Their relatives drive cabs in Ottawa. I doubt we'll get attacked. Unless it's common practice to destroy your own home base.

Hamza123 said:

I just meant that Canadians have always been the ones to go in talking rather than shooting. We're peacekeepers, not soldiers.

Do you know anything about Canadian history?

Hamza123 said:

I just meant that Canadians have always been the ones to go in talking rather than shooting. We're peacekeepers, not soldiers. There are only like what, 2,000 Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan, and 6 killed in 2002-2005 of either a Landmine or Friendly Fire. Only one was killed in a suicide attack and another in a vehicle rollover. In 2006 so far, 1 has been killed from a suicide attack, and he wasn't even a soldier, just a diplomat. 3 have been killed from vehicle rollovers. NOW THATS GOOD FOR A DAMN WARZONE! Many people in Palestine are Lebanese, and Canada again, sent peacekeepers to Lebanon during the 1980's civil war in Beirut. You go to Afghanistan, and you see soldiers without their weapons holsters walking up to civilians and comforting them and they usually get a nice response back. (You can thank the US for actually succeeding in that Middle Eastern/Asian country)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/afghanistan/kandahar_patrol.html

Perhaps to some, it make seem like an intense war. However for modern standards of a war this isn't very dangerous. I recently asked a few soldiers in Iraq about what they think of Canadian Troops in Afghanistan. They laughed, and said, yep, canadians doing their thing, keeping the peace and basically getting in touch with civilians.

My point is, Canada's chances of being attacked are very slim. When I travel to countries like Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Dubai, Lebanon, and Syria, I always take my HUGE Canadian Flagged beach umbrella, and the people there love me.

In general, if you live in North America, your chances of being attacked by a terrorist are slimer than if you were to get killed while swimming, driving, or crossing the street at an intersection.

All valid points - I'll never deny that Canada is less of a traget than other countries. Nonetheless, what say you about border crossing? Should passports/smartcards/some other form of national ID be required?

No doubt that it would serve the USA more than it would Canada - yet we share the same land - would it help protect us, ever?

TheJenn88 said:
All valid points - I'll never deny that Canada is less of a traget than other countries. Nonetheless, what say you about border crossing? Should passports/smartcards/some other form of national ID be required?

No doubt that it would serve the USA more than it would Canada - yet we share the same land - would it help protect us, ever?

While smartcards and national ID's sound all practical and everything, let's not let it sweep us off of our feet.

Think about the implications of having a chip or a smartcard. All your personal information in one place. They can follow you everywhere. "But if you're a terrorist then that's good." Sure, but if you're an innocent civilian it's an invasion of your privacy. Our privacy is sacred.

They're offering to make you feel more safe at the expense of your freedom. These are the same people who are creating the threat, by the way.

Gallytuck said:
While smartcards and national ID's sound all practical and everything, let's not let it sweep us off of our feet.

Think about the implications of having a chip or a smartcard. All your personal information in one place. They can follow you everywhere. "But if you're a terrorist then that's good." Sure, but if you're an innocent civilian it's an invasion of your privacy. Our privacy is sacred.

They're offering to make you feel more safe at the expense of your freedom. These are the same people who are creating the threat, by the way.

I agree - but then there's the opposing argument: where has our freedom gone when we're too afraid to go out in the streets when a terrorist has attacked?

Call me paranoid if you like. But I can acknowledge that the chance of getting attacked is low. Having said that though, I don't think I'd really feel infringed upon with having a national ID or smart card. A smart card just makes information more readily available if need be. It's not like if they're implemented it's going to be like we can't go out in the streets, wondering if Big Brother knows every person we're swapping bodily fluids with. And even if they did know - how many of them would really care? I doubt their top priority is who's ****ing who instead of national security. :rolleyes:

People get so uppity about our freedom. But how many of you want to crawl into a cave at the thought of surveillance at shopping centres, in schools, satellites in space? We have that already and I'm not paralyzed with fear or weighed with suspicion that my world is going to come crashing down.

TheJenn88 said:

Well Jenn, you honestly never know what could happen, taken an extra five minutes to show a passport could save lives. So I am all for it.

Hamza123 said:
Well Jenn, you honestly never know what could happen, taken an extra five minutes to show a passport could save lives. So I am all for it.

I don't really have a problem with having to show a passport. I don't plan on ever having to go to the U.S. And even if I ever do, I don't see a passport as being a problem.

I doubt requiring a passport to cross the border would do very much anyway. All it would take is another terrorist attack in even a minor form again on American soil and next thing you know you'd need a special form of ID to cross state lines...for an indefinite amount of time, of course(forever). Sure, there's no proof that they'd ever do that, granted. But there's also no evidence that they wouldn't.

Back