clicking, grinding noise ..

camo fox

Took the quad out for a couple short trips over the weekend, and I was hearing this clicking/grinding noise coming from what seems to be the axle carrier. It's not constant, but it's quit often. Seems to happen more when I'm turning than when I'm going straight but still does it going in a straight line as well. It's hard to explain the noise and the DASA makes too much noise for the helmet cam to pick it up. I'll be pulling the axle out this week to check bearings, but what do you guys think?

Stand on your pegs ad rock side to side... If your carrier bearings or swing arm bearings are stating to go or are gone it wit clunk or click as you go side to side... Have some one watch the back or have them rock as you watch the back and you'll see what's loose... Sounds like carrier bearings to me..

raise the rear, grab axle and see if it has any play, if not and you want to be sure pull chain and brake off and spin the axle

My bearings go every year. I replaced the swingarm bearings just recently @ the frame and that straightened out all my issues with pulling to the left while catwalking.

I used to use OEM til I realized they don't last any longer than All Balls and Pivot Works..

Well, I've yet to take the axle out ... But I've also yet to even ride the thing. I checked the axle for play .. and all though there is a little wiggle, it's minute. If I get some time this weekend where I feel some-what healthy I will check into this some more.

My bearing carrier went bad few months back. I havnt changed it since it's been sitting in my garage. I had the same problem, heard the sounds and had no clue what it was untill i saw some play in the carrier. Even i posted pics on the forum and someone said that my carrier was shot.

I might get RAD or Twin Row bearing carrier. I know they might be a little pricer compared to other cheaper and oem parts on ebay but they will last longer and comes with grease fittings.

I slide the carrier onto the axle, grease it, then slide the carrier and axle into to swingarm together..

I've used an eastcoast atv carrier and had good luck.. I think they're $100-$110 shipped on eBay. It was cheaper to order off eBay then to order direct... Don't ask me why... But that's what the lady on the phone said when I called them.

No, sir.. If you want access to it, a swinger like that would be great. The grease fitting on the aftermarket carriers sit down in the cammed part of the carrier so there is no issue with putting into a stock swinger. RAD might make one where the fitting is on the outside so you can get to it while installed... I have also heard of people drilling an access hole to get to the fitting on a stock swinger. I cant see where that would hurt the integrity of the swinger but I've never done it myself...

thanks bailey for answering him.

I dont feel like buying OEM carrier. Kinda pain in the ass to repack the bearings.

No issues...
I'm having a hard time typing out an explanation that makes sense to read... I have a 400 carrier on the shelf, if I get a chance tomorrow, I'll take a picture so I can better show you.

Back