Computer slowing down?

snafu

Have you seen your computer slowing down slowly but surly? I believe I've found the problem and this is just my guess. I'm getting this consensus on the amount of computers I've been working on in the last month.

I have found three computers locking up in the middle of Windows updates, mine included. I have seen three others that have slowed down considerably with reports of two others I'm going to look at. My first thought was the Windows Updates. Then it accrued to me that Windows was proposing a new Windows xp (Window xp 9) that never came about.
My concussion is that it is in fact the Windows Updates which are imperative to a good computer but it is geared more toward Vista now. Windows xp is a dieing dinosaur I think. Anyway to run Vista you need at least 1 gig a bite and more to run the programs (two to three is the norm for a new computer). So at least 2 gigs should suffice for a Vista running machine. A lot of computers with Windows xp usually has no more than 256 to 512 mega bites. I was working on a laptop and I restorered her to factory and striped her clean. Then I put on the nessesary virus protector (AVAST) and spy protection. It was running good but I continuted to load the updates. We are now up to Service Pack 3. After insalling all the updates it still ran like . I installed 1 gig on a laptop that I'm working on and bamb! It runs like new. Of course the Internet is a different subject. A lot of people correlate the Internet boot up and load time to there cp but that's a different problem. So I bought a gig for both my parents computers and am going to install them after Christmas. If this works this will prove my point that everybody running less than a gig and is running Windows xp will need more ram or a new computer soon. ;)

I always make it a habit to turn off Windows Automatic updates.

Microsoft says not to, but too many of their updates have to have other updates to fix the first update.

It's just easier to go in once every so often and do a major update.

I've pretty much have always ran XP with a gig of memory, and also turn off auto updates.

Never have had a computer slowdown problem EVER since about Windows 95'

But then, I am very disciplined about what software I use in Windows.

Right now I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 using 4 gigs of memory. No problems with it, ever.

Bender said:
Right now I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 using 4 gigs of memory. No problems with it, ever.

I run Vista (I think it is Pro) at home with 2 gigs of memory and haven't ever had any issues either (other than HP not having a compatible driver for my laser printer- got that fixed though.)

I hear lots of people complain about Vista, but I haven't had any issues myself.

Some of these updates are important. Some are not but most people aren't savy to which ones to load. Service Pack 3 is important. So I think it's prudent to have the auto update on.
Back in the day though most computers with Windows xp didn't come with more than 512 megabites unless you bought the top end computers which cost an arm and a leg. If you have Windows xp I would check your ram and upgrade to at least 1 gig. I'm only running 768 megabites but I keep my computer running good.

snafu said:
Some of these updates are important. Some are not but most people aren't savy to which ones to load. Service Pack 3 is important. So I think it's prudent to have the auto update on.
Back in the day though most computers with Windows xp didn't come with more than 512 megabites unless you bought the top end computers which cost an arm and a leg. If you have Windows xp I would check your ram and upgrade to at least 1 gig. I'm only running 768 megabites but I keep my computer running good.

Yeah, but you can also get stuck with a lemon like Service pack 2 when it first came out, and have no idea why Windows Firewall is now blocking everything. ;)

If you would have asked me a few months ago, I would have said stick with Windows XP, but realistically, people need to keep up with modern technology, and Vista is a key element OS for any Windows/PC user. XP is an excellent OS, but the technology of today demands something like VISTA to drive it. ,

Bender said:
If you would have asked me a few months ago, I would have said stick with Windows XP, but realistically, people need to keep up with modern technology, and Vista is a key element OS for any Windows/PC user. XP is an excellent OS, but the technology of today demands something like VISTA to drive it. ,

Two things I've found that I don't like about Vista. They renamed stuff like where you go to uninstall programs but that's something you just need to figure out. I guess that's what the help option is for. :rolleyes:
The second thing is that if you forget your password you can't even resotore to factory. I guess that's to cut out theft but I went in with my cousins computer and the Geek Squad had a disk to reset it. They didn't even ask me proof of purchace and it cost me $29.99! I gotta get a hold of one of those reset disks.

Okay my second cousin called me and she now has the black screen on her new Vista laptop. She already went threw the blue screen of death and had to get a new hard drive. Ohh....... !

Without the computer in front of you its' awfully hard to diagnose and fix. She went back to the east cost to visit her grandparents ( my aunt and uncle) and so I can't do much long distance. She can get onto a black screen and get into safe mode.
I'm at a loss. I told her to find a direct link to a router and maybe she can find updates for her wireless but I can't be for certain that will help.

I'm gonna have to study Vista! It won't get the better of me!!!!

Is it hard (or even possible) to increase the RAM in a laptop? I've got an HP Presario 3045US. I'm showing slightly under 500.

Old Salt said:
Is it hard (or even possible) to increase the RAM in a laptop? I've got an HP Presario 3045US. I'm showing slightly under 500.
It's easy to umpgrade memory in a laptop. On the underside there should be a cover with 2 small screws marked for ram. Pull it off and replace the sodimms. Just make sure you buy the correct ram for your model.

Cloaked said:
It's easy to umpgrade memory in a laptop. On the underside there should be a cover with 2 small screws marked for ram. Pull it off and replace the sodimms. Just make sure you buy the correct ram for your model.

Yeah, I have found laptops tend to be a bit more picky about the ram than desktops. Of Course, that could be just a Dell thing.

Old Salt said:

I'm showing a max of 1 gig for that laptop. You'll need PC 2100, 200 pin SO-DIMM memory for it.

I'm showing 3 brands that will work in it

Kingston: Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 266 (PC 2100) Laptop Memory - Laptop Memory

Corsair: Newegg.com - CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 266 (PC 2100) Laptop Memory - Laptop Memory

& All Components: Newegg.com - AllComponents 512MB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 266 (PC 2100) Laptop Memory - Laptop Memory

Personally, I'd go with the Corsair value select memory.

Thanks, all. Sounds pretty straight forward. I thought it would be more expensive than that.

I've got a Pentium4, 2.40 GHz with 448 meg of ram. Should I replace everything? Or just add the 512?

The memory is probably the only thing you can replace, the processor might be soldered in, not sure, depends on how HP configured that one. I'm guessing you already have a 512 meg stick in there already, the reason it is showing up as 448 is because it is sharing memory with your onboard video 512-448=64 megs being used for onboard video. I'm also guessing that you have an empty slot for more memory so all you'll need to buy is a 512 stick. I'd check first though, sometimes HP likes to stick in 2-256 meg sticks to fill both slots, in which case you would want to buy 2-512 meg sticks and get rid of the other ones.

So anyway, after a 1 gig memory upgrade, your PC should show you have 960 megs of RAM, not the full 1 gig, and again, this is because it is shared with onboard video. If you want though, you can adjust this setting in the BIOS and reduce the memory useage for the onboard video down to like 32 megs or something, I wouldn't go much lower then that though.

If you REALLY REALLY wanna speed it up, stick one of these puppy's in it to replace that stock 60 gig drive

Newegg.com - Transcend TS64GSSD25-M 2.5" 64GB IDE Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks

I can't avoid it. So what I do is I defrag my hard disk and if nothing change, I will upgrade my PC!:)

Whoa, guys. All this fancy "DIMMS" and "Ram" and "computers" is far too complicated an answer. Snaf, computer slowdowns are caused by one thing: The hamster on the wheel (computer repair people call it "a processor", but I can make up words too) is tired. Just pop open the case, feed it, and it'll be working like new again. Simple science :D

Hey snafu, if your into fixing your friend's computers and you want to get them Windows 7, do like I do and buy by the volume:

http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

I'll usually buy a minimum of 10, so that's only $20 for windows 7 ultimate!

It takes forever for them to get here from China sometimes, but it's worth the wait in savings.

Check out this SWEET deal I got just a bit ago!!

View attachment 2160

I picked up 20 licenses for under $40

I plan on upgrading my daughters Acer Mini Netbook with one of the licenses.

It came with Windows 7 starter edition, I plan on upgrading her memory to 4 gigs & OS to Windows 7 Ultimate, the rest I will use for friends PC's that I fix.

Attachments

• 9ce04019c6f12829090059ce52fba8d6.jpg
    9ce04019c6f12829090059ce52fba8d6.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 11
Back