Electrical proem on 09er

OhaRe

Ok, I will make this long story short .
Was riding my quad and it ran 100% started by the starter and everything, when I turned it off it will not start . The N light was on and the everytime I clicked the starter button to start it just clicked noise keep going at the relay . I hooked up a jumper and it would crank and start right up, so I said screw it and got new battery, charge them all let the acid do its thing all that . With the new battery it started right up and ran 100% again , so all was good .

Well riding this past weekend, was running 100% and then all sudden completely shut off in just about mid-full throttle . Now the lights the "N" light and all won't even come on, and all wires are hooked up and look good . I had a screwdriver in my thing under the seat, I said screw it let me try the relay and it started sparking and then cranked and started .

So basically, when I turn the switch on my quad, the N light won't come on and it is in neutral and the wire for it is in. The red temp light doesn't come on for the 1 second everytime I turn the key ether, AND the starter button doesn't make anything happen no click or anything. BUT by touching the relay it will start and crank 100% and ride like nothing was wrong or happen .

Please help!

Only thing I checked and tried was the fuse, it was good but I put a new one in anyway and still nothing .

That happened to me once. Turned out my battery was bad. The only other thing I can think of is that you might have a bad ground / loose or poor connection somewhere. Check everything over.

Yea I tried and even put up another wire harness . Still nothing . All my wires are connected and all look good nothing seems wrong at all .

It can be a quite a few things. When you have zero lights and stuff, it may very well be a bad ground. I had a buddies Z400 for the longest time would shut off after some prolonged riding. Let it sit for about 30min, it would fire back up. Long story short, we tore the entire front plastic off to check connections and found a electrical connector not fully connected. When it got hot the plastic connector would expand away from the female end of the connector.
As for the battery regardless if its new or not, its pretty common to get crappy battery thats brand new. Check the battery to see if its getting hot when riding it. Any ground point on the frame or part needs to be cleaned and di-electric greased. Relay could be bad also or the wiring to the relay could be loose.

Yea man, the battery doesn't get hot, and I checked all wires many times and switch back and forth to 2 different wore harness . My dad suggested a bad relay but I'm thinking the problem has to start at the ignition if it is not bringin up my lights when I turn the key . Has to start someplace right in the start .. I will double check again and again later after work and make sure my wires are tight and all . But do you think it could be this part for the ignition ? #3 part on the list . I can still start it bypassing on the relay and it runs great . So I don't think it is a stator issue or something else , my dad has been naming issues so idk lol .

http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/HONDA/2009/TRX450R-(ELECTRIC-START)/WIRE-HARNESS

Could very well be the key switch, but it wouldn't explain you hitting the relay and it starting. lol

For shits and grins, spray the inside of that key switch with some type of wd-40 and work it with the key. I had that problem on my KTM. Turned the key on and no power. Lubed the switch up and its worked great ever since. I would take apart the the starter/headlight switch also and make sure the contacts are clean in that also. Keep us updated!

Well after going crazy double checking again and again between 2 wire harnesses and everything, I finnally found the problem . Behind the fuse the wire is only holding on by a thread , so that explains why it was clicking and barley working at first and then totally stopped, because the thread it was hangin by broke ! So I am going to look for a new part of that, that almost 100% has to be the problem lol . Thanks for everyone help, I will post up when I get the new part if that works !

Back