Flu pandemic could kill 150m warns UN

WHATEVER

A NEW flu pandemic is expected at any time and could kill up to 150 million people depending on action taken to control the bird flu outbreaks that have appeared in Asia, a senior UN public health expert warned yesterday.

I think this is absolutley rediculous because it has somehow managed to make it's way to the UK and has already killed 6 people and nothing is being done about it. The vaccination in the UK is only enough for 25% of the population! You would think with
a sickness that could kill 1.5 BILLION people that they would shut down schools or at least do something but they aren't doing anything about it. My family in Italy has managed to get a vaccination but Italy seems to be the only place actually giving it out. This whole thing leads me to believe that the UN/government want/dont care how many people die from this flu because there are things that could be done and precautions that could be followed but yet the whole thing is being brushed over. A few weeks ago I read part of a document from a member of the UN stating that they wanted the world population at 300 million - well this certainly is a start..

Here is a link to the bird flu story for the unaware:-
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=161&id=2015482005

Read it. Bush senior wants sickness on a mass scale. That pumps up the need for medication, and increases sales from his and his crony's
pharmaceuticals company holdings. Old hat.

Besides, only the selected few will enter heaven. Best weed out the plebes in the meanwhile.

Bush says the bird flu is not a major threat. But just to be sure, he's gonna bomb the **** out of Turkey.

I'm having trouble even taking this seriously. How many times does the media warn about a 'pandemic flu'? The media is fast to bolster exaggerated numbers of potential death tolls. "Millions could die". This irresponsible dramatisation of impropable scenarios are the fodder that media outlets feed on.
Remember earlier this year when some research lab sent out the wrong samples by accident and it turned out to be a deadly virus? The samples were sent out to many labs across the U.S., including here in Indy. My local media was extremely irresponsible in their reporting on it. They repeatedly used key words like "pandemic", "millions could die", and "outbreak". There was never any real danger at all, but according to the drama queens in our local media, one would think that we all narrowly escaped death.

Much of the same semantics are at work in this bird flu issue.

The thing that alot of people fail to realize is that influenza is a highly adaptable pathogen which can change its virulence depending on the strain. In this day and age, it is rarely deadly. A few centuries back it was one of the most deadly of all viruses. But the question is when it mutates and adapts again, what will be its potency? Will it still be a communicable disease? Is it passed on trhough food? Air? Or through vectors? A virus can change so much...so in reality if this is a new strain, we really have no idea what we are up against.

Outlaw2747 said:
The thing that alot of people fail to realize is that influenza is a highly adaptable pathogen which can change its virulence depending on the strain. In this day and age, it is rarely deadly. A few centuries back it was one of the most deadly of all viruses. But the question is when it mutates and adapts again, what will be its potency? Will it still be a communicable disease? Is it passed on trhough food? Air? Or through vectors? A virus can change so much...so in reality if this is a new strain, we really have no idea what we are up against.

Your right about all that. I just have issue with the media firing off alarms when there is no basis for it. We need not go back very far to find real pandemic situations where the flu virus has killed many countless people, so there is reason for concern. I just think that the red flag waiving should be left to the C.D.C. and not to the talking heads of our news media.

As for what i saw and read it was 1.4 million...I mean its not much better but there is a difference in the B and M...
All i know is i AM NOT buying poultry for awhile!! ;)

builder said:
Read it. Bush senior wants sickness on a mass scale. That pumps up the need for medication, and increases sales from his and his crony's

Besides, only the selected few will enter heaven. Best weed out the plebes in the meanwhile.

Bush says the bird flu is not a major threat. But just to be sure, he's gonna bomb the **** out of Turkey.

BUILDER i would like to see your PROOF that either BUSH SAID THE BIRD FLU ISNT A THREAT!!!!
DONT GIVE AN ALIGATION WITHOUT YOUR PROOF

Gray~Gal said:
BUILDER i would like to see your PROOF that either BUSH SAID THE BIRD FLU ISNT A THREAT!!!!

Ya I think Bush does enough obvious dumb **** on his own without the endless paranoid conspiracy theories being conjoured up every time something bad happens in the world.

I think that sometimes people like Bush are not so worried because they know their loved ones are safe. Will his response to this posible disaster be similar to others in his presidancy? Will his main concern be for people in other countries or will he be concerned about his own citizens? Only time will tell.
I don't know much about things like this flu but I know I am very vulnerable they tell me because of my respiratoy problems, I have had pneumonia twice and always get the flu and pneumonia shots with the high risk patients.
Nothing to do but wait and see.

Gray~Gal said:

Oh, you took me seriously? ROFLMFHO.

Allegations? Or Aligators? :D Not sure.

If you wanna link, don't threaten me with toothy saurians.

builder said:

Builder is absolutely right... Bush is to blame for people contracting a highly contagious virus! He is also to blame for some other things... Here's a short list

WWII - Though not yet born, he convinced the World Jewish League to boycott German goods at a time when any further disturbance in their economy would be catastrophic, and probably result in rioting and such!

The Bubonic Plague - I Have in on good faith from www.nut-job-conspiracies.com that the Bush family personally handed out faulty Poseys to ensure the spread of such a fatal illness!

AIDS - Though he has the IQ of a zagnut bar, he managed to splice DNA from a Rhesus monkey into that of a African male, rendering his Immune system bunk.... later that day he also gave it the ability to replicate.... and on the 7th day, he rested!

Buddy Holly's Plane - He shot it from the sky with eye lasers! Honest!

Continental Drift - Though not yet born, barely strong enough to lift memos, and not even understanding the concept, He and hist 'cronies' decided one day that they could make money 5 million years later if they split the continents, making oil harder to transport... (even though technically oil wasn't even around then.... THEY KNEW)

Puerto rican Drop Out Rate - Not sure how he did this.... but I swear it was him... I found it at www.stuff-normal-people-dont-read.com

There's more.... I just need to go to some conspiracy sites and parrot a few more lines.... I'll get back with ya!;)

That's perfect Fullauto. :D

Do you think it might sink in on a few people here?
Bush's is probably plugging there ears and going blabblablbabla.

We had a massive debate last year in ancient history class. We were discussing, sorry, aruging the likelyhood of another pandemic occuring. By mother nature, she will produce a virus unknown and undefeatable as a natural cleansing process (or at least some believe that). At any rate, though, we haven't seen a pandemic in a very long time.

What I'm getting at is that it's unpredictable, coming from a hopefully-educated viewpoint. There's so many factors that can't be included for the sheer sake of time. From a personal point of view, I don't think it's likely. The western world is very civilized and advanced in terms of massive containment measures if necessary, or at least I'd hope. SARS could've been the next epidemic among the old or very young, but it wasn't. New flu strains could've been, but they weren't.

An epidemic, maybe, I could see happening. It's something on a much lesser scale. These are in tv-like circumstances only, though, where someone catches a virus, and it incubates itself for 12 hours, and then kills you after 1 hour of displaying symptoms. Unrealistic.

A pandemic is most likely to occur in areas with a high population density, low sanitation procedures, and poor health care. If that's the case, then we're looking at places like Africa, or more notably, Asia. We've got most of the world's population residing there. The sad fact is, that if an epidemic were to occur, the global economy wouldn't suffer nearly as massively as if an epidemic were to wipe out north america, which doesn't even equate to half of Asia's population.

As harsh as it sounds, if you pick off about 1/3 of north america, let's say, 150-200 million people, and then you pick off about 150 million people from Africa and Asia, the effects on the economy are going to be radically different. The world would pretty much halt on its axis if the USA were to disappear. Yet, wipe out 150 million Africans and Asians, you're looking at a sad incident, but not a crisis (unless they were miraculously all employed for slave labour type stuff.. then we're screwed since China is a huge exporter, for cheap costs).

So, is a pandemic likely in the western world? No, but it would be extremely unfortunate if it were to happen. Is a pandemic more likely to happen in the eastern world? Yea, but I think it would have a slightly less global impact.

Again, the probability of an epidemic vs. a pandemic is greater, and the potential for this to happen will always arise as part of Mother Nature's cleaning process.

I guess this post wasn't really useful, except to express that..**** happens? Moo.

If the bird flu mutates than it will be a global issue. The stupid infected birds are flying everywhere - I'm just wondering..'dont they get tired?'- ugh, I'm just annoyed by the whole thing

I tend to agree with Jenn here a bit, but one thing to keep in mind, and it may sound villainous, but even if it WAS to become a pandemic, ONLY THE STRONG WILL SURVIVE. As it is the way of nature. If it comes into the US and kills my mom say.. Well then, evidently she was not strong enough to fight off the flu. If it kills me, then that's what I get for not keeping my body in a fairly good shape to ward off virii in the first place.

I mean, it's the ****ing flu, it's not AIDS, it will come, then go, you'll be sick as a ****ing dog for a while, then life goes on.

With health care available the way it is, even a bad case will eventually come to an end, but then yes, the poor and elderly (you know, the charity case's of the world who don't work) will be most effected, and if it hit in a grungier type setting like Africa (Another WELFARE CONTINET) then it wouldn't be much of a big loss after the mass graves have been filled in from a WORLD standpoint..

I wish people would understand, the world does not revolve around their feet and does not answer to the call of the weak animal or plant, it only eliminates them from the food chain.

Besides, the NEW WORLD ORDER has it all figured out anyway, so quit bitching and start conforming.

No Bird Flu in Uk yet, not even in Europe. It killed 60 people in Asia, and 6 birds in Turkey and Romania. Less of the hysterics, jez it hasn't even been transfered from Human to Human yet!

So is the moral to the story, stay away from birds??
I am asking honestly, I was not aware that it had not been transferred from human to human.
Geuss I need to go to the CDC website and have a read.

Lethalfind said:
So is the moral to the story, stay away from birds??
I am asking honestly, I was not aware that it had not been transferred from human to human.
Geuss I need to go to the CDC website and have a read.

Yes. Stay away from birds. And avoid those nasty tendencies to ..you know, have ostriche sex... :rolleyes:

Back