Gas prices are HIGH? Not nearly high enough

Jeez, do you drink Kabalah water or what. I am talking about plain old purified spring water. Discover the store brand or you are gonna have a lot more to worry about than the cost of GAS. LOL

tizz said:
Jeez, do you drink Kabalah water or what. I am talking about plain old purified spring water. Discover the store brand or you are gonna have a lot more to worry about than the cost of GAS. LOL

lol, are you kidding? If I care enough about that sort of thing to bitch like this, I'm sure as hell not going to spend 5 bucks a gallon on WATER. I drink good ol' free water out of the well in my backyard. :D

See now I can't do that thanks to the plumes from a defunct dry cleaner. But PLEASE get real. $5 for a gallon of water is hardly a credible reference. THAT is what makes you an idiot

I agree that gas prices are too low. Yet it is bad they increase so fast while not allowing people to adjust to the change. During the Iraq hostage situation in the 70's when gas lines and rationing took place I was stationed in Korea. I had a new car, a Saburu that cost $1890 delivered in Pusan. I bought gas at the army motor pool for $0.09 cents a gallon before the shortage and all the way up to $0.13 cents during the emergency.

Taxing the hell out of gas isn't the answer as proven by Western Europe since they still drive about the same as we do.

Our electricity on the island is produced from petreleum and we are haveing rolling blackouts almost daily. This evening I turned on the AC because it was 90% humidity and a heat index of 94 F at 9:00PM. I only ran it for an hour because of the cost. During the power outage this afternoon I poured a couple gallons of lawnmower gas in my generator to run the fans, TV and referigerator thinking about the 10 HP generator working hard to produce the electricity... ten horsepower made me think of the Budwiser team of horses and reflect on how much horse **** I would have to clean up if I had to use horses not to mention the space, feed, shelter and associated cost.

I also visited a battery shop today to cut a deal on my solar energy battery storage system I soon plan to fully install.

We have to do better than SUV's and clydesdales and I think higher prices may help more people to chose solar or alternative energy as a source... Prices are way too low today as they were for me in the 70's.

Right now there is a huge debate going on over wether or not there will be a windmill farm errected about 4 miles off the Jersey coast (also going on I THINK in Conn.) poeple are more worried about asthetics than energy conservation (you won't see them from shore) Fishermen were pissed at first until it was explained to them that teh farmes would act as an artificial reef that would infact serve to ATTRACT the very fish they seek. It will proabably be defeated (this is Jersey, unless teh windmill folks have teh money to grease a **** load of palms, it will NEVER happen)

Thanks, Critter, my point exactly. If people would be willing to find more efficient forms of energy without hiking gas prices that would be great, but we can't see anything that isn't right in front of our noses.

Asmodai said:
Yeah, second thread in one day, but this has been pissing me off for a while. I'm going to wring the neck of the next person who complains about gas prices being 'much too high'.

Gasoline, actually, is one of the cheapest liquids you can buy. Think about it. A gallon of water at the grocery store? Fove or six bucks, compared to the 'outrageous' $2 you spend per gallon of gas. You can get a gallon of straight, black, unflavored coffee at starbucks for $12.88. Any shmuck can make coffee, and besides, it's a renewable resource. You get some water, beans from a plant that you can just plant more of, and voila, you have coffee.

And yet it costs less than ONE SIXTH of that to get the same amount of oily black sludge that rich arab bastards are hauling up out of the deserts, and we're GOING TO RUN OUT very soon at the rate we're going. This brings up more problems for the rich arab bastards, but I won't go into that now... the point is we're paying a SCANDALOUSLY low price for a very rare resource.

I say everyone starts paying an arm and a leg for the stuff like the europeans are. It'd put us in perspective, and maybe motivate us to find something else to power our cars with.

And THEN, assholes, you can complain about gas prices.

I am sorry that the europeans do not have a provision for gas like we do here in America. I think gas prices are high for two reasons:

1.) Excessive taxes on fuel (almost .50 per gallon between the state and federal government)

2.) Excessive price per barrel for oil. (We can fix this by embargoing the arabs that are charging us $70+ per barrel)

I don't think that poor people need to be made to suffer so one or two rich *****s can get thier jollys.

-TH

Good topic but it needs a little flavoring...

Here are some interesting facts for you to ponder.

In Europe, nearly 66 percent of the price is tax, thus, if you take out the European taxes, they would pay about what we pay in the USA! :eek:

Depending upon refinery efficiency, and disregarding heavy/light and sweet/sour crude differences, one barrel of average crude oil (42 US gallons), produced around 19.5 gallons of high test gasoline and many other chemicals as well.

Gasoline - 19.5 g
Distillate fuel oil - 9.2 g (Includes both home heating oil and diesel fuel)
Kerosene-type jet fuel - 4.1 g
Residual fuel oil - 2.3 g (Heavy oils used as fuels in industry, marine transportation and for electric power generation)
Liquefied refinery gasses - 1.9 g
Still gas - 1.9 g
Coke - 1.8 g
Asphalt and road oil - 1.3 g
Petrochemical feed stocks - 1.2 g
Lubricants - 0.5 g
Kerosene - 0.2 g
Other - 0.3 g

Don't bother... I know. The total volume of products made is 2.2 gallons greater than the original 42 gallons of crude oil. This represents "processing gain" and is common.

This should be regarded as an average. Crude oils vary widely in their composition, and different oils will yields wildly differing amounts of the different products.

On another note... My father was interviewed on the local news today and he quoted this thread. He figures it'll be edited out, but I'm gonna watch for it anyway.

Asmodai said:
I don't have a car, and don't want one - at least not for a while. I really don't think people my age should be driving - I know I'M a clumsy ****, and so are most of the people I know. I also don't want to have to take part in this bullshit gas fiasco, largely for the reasons I mentioned. Believe it or not, even a few 16 year olds think about things. If I can't find an alternate, economically sound form of transportation, I didn't need to go there that badly in the first place..

I dont know about you but i live 20 miles form the nearest grocery store. Im not accostomed to walking 40 miles for food. Im not sure but I do think that I need to get to the grocery store, badly. I also agree that people shouldnt drive at 16, however, if people did not start driving at 16 they would still be clumsy as **** at 21 or 25 or 30 for that matter because you dont get good at driving by staring at the car. Also just because you dont drive and your mommy takes you where you need to go, doesnt make it any better.

Asmodai said:
Maybe it's different here in crazy old CA, but I have definitely seen gallons of 'purified' water for upwards of 5 bucks

Wow, I feel like SD here, everyone calling me an idiot. Amazing, though, how no one at all saw my point. Gas should be more expensive BECAUSE everyone needs it. If we all could take our heads out of our asses long enough to think about global economy rather than our own pocketbooks, it would be obvious that finding a new source of fuel is absolutely necessary. It should be more expensive because there's so little of it left, and not being able to afford fossil fuels would force people to find a more permanent source of power.

Now rising gas prices are definately an economic issue. As gas prices rise, people drive less, when people drive less, they buy new cars less often, now where i live in ohio, we have a ford plant and a GM plant that are closing. My stepfather is a machinist and 30% of his shop makes pieces of GM transmissions that ship all over the world, that part of the shop has been shut down laying off 15 people which is 30% of their staff. Now those people are now out of work, and not getting paid, arent buying things due to the lack of money. Without working, none of their money is going into taxes, none of thier money is going into grocery stores, therefore the economy is suffiering due to the rising gas prices that you love so much. Do me a favor, get your head out of your ass and start actually reading something about economics, learn that the world is a big place outside of your little world, look at all the people that are losing jobs because people like you support rising gas prices.

Back