I agree

timesjoke

Here is one liberal guy I completely agree with:

Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - The Blair House Health Summit: Missing Pat Moynihan - Blogs from CNN.com

It is easy to be sympathetic with President Obama?s attempt to revive health care reform by embarking on a big, new gamble this week. After all, he campaigned on health reform, has made it the signature issue of his presidency, and according to those around him in the White House, focuses on it almost to the point of obsession. Like many of his predecessors, Mr. Obama seems deeply moved by past health care struggles of a close family member ? in this case, his mother.

So, the President deserves a significant measure of respect for trying to get reform across the goal line. He has already come closer than any of seven other presidents who have tried. Now he and his aides believe it imperative to give one last try.

But one should not underestimate the size of the gamble. The President and Democrats are already in political trouble for spending a full year on health reform and then hitting a wall. A more cautious president would have walked quietly away from the scene of the accident. Indeed, that?s what Mr. Obama appeared to be doing in his recent State of the Union, insisting that he now focus on jobs and not mentioning health care until he was a half hour into the speech.

But he was apparently itching to try again and when he had a bravura performance, with cameras rolling, as he paid a call on House Republicans in Baltimore, a light bulb went off in the White House: let?s have a ?summit? at Blair House with Republicans and Democrats. If the President, they thought, can once again dazzle in debate with Republicans, that will light a new fire behind reform and maybe ? just maybe ? it will then pass.

So, Mr. Obama is doubling down on his bet. If he succeeds, he could not only revive health care but his presidency. If he fails, however, he will deliver a second body blow to himself and his party. And prospects for passage of a comprehensive bill are uncertain at best: while looking better in the Senate, the House could go either way. So this is a big gamble.

Hovering over Blair House is an even bigger question: Even if it were possible for Mr. Obama to succeed, is it wise? Given current conditions, would passage of his comprehensive bill be in the best interests of the country?

There is no right answer to those questions ? much depends on what you think about the substance of the bill. But there is a deeper wisdom from the past that ought to be considered, too. It was taught to me back in the 1990s by Daniel Patrick Moynihan, one of the brightest lights ever to serve in the U.S. Senate and a personal friend. Pat was then chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, I had just joined up with President Bill Clinton at the White House, and a titanic struggle was underway over the Clintons? efforts to reform health care.

Moynihan, a Democrat, told me that there were two essential pre-requisites to passing major social reform in this country. The first, he said, was that landmark social legislation should be passed with significant, bipartisan support from both sides of the aisle ? otherwise, there would always be trouble with it. He sent me the vote tallies to show how at least a half dozen or more Senators from the opposition party voted for big social initiatives stretching back to the New Deal ? from Social Security in the 1930s the civil rights bills of the mid-60s and Medicare and Medicaid bundled together in 1965.

Secondly, he said, landmark social legislation should enjoy solid support from the public before it is passed. Again, history bears out his point. Presumably, the fact that major legislation enjoyed bipartisan support in Congress helped to build up majority support in the country.

It is sobering ? and should give us pause ? that the comprehensive health care bill now under debate meets neither test. In the House, only one Republican has voted in favor (and has since changed his mind) and not a single Republican in the Senate. People can argue till the cows come home about why. The point is that passage of this omnibus bill through the reconciliation process would be a strictly partisan affair ? a sharp break from recent history.

Just as important, the public doesn?t want Washington to do this. Averaging up the results of ten major polls over the past month, Real Clear Politics finds that opinion is running 52-38 percent against passage of the Obama/Democratic plan. There has been some tightening of late in the Democrats? favor, but the margin against is still the most negative in memory for major social legislation. Today, CNN released a new poll, just out of the field, showing that only 25 percent want Congress to pass this big bill, 48 percent want Congress to start over, and 25 percent want to stop working on health care. Those are important results.

It is possible that President Obama can turn opinion around in the Democrats? favor through the Blair House summit. Again, one should accord the President great respect for trying. But if he is unable to win Republicans to his side AND if he is unable to win over the public, doesn?t that suggest that he should reconsider?

Should he not think again about the recommendation of his own chief of staff ? to take a handful of the best ideas from Democrats and Republicans, weave them into a scaled down bill, and win passage of a bill that will be both bipartisan and enjoy the support of the country? Wouldn?t that be a good way to get started on serious health care reform so that we can also turn our attention back to jobs? I wish Pat Moynihan were at Blair House to whisper in the President?s ear.

Who thinks this summit is going to be more than a show to try and make the GOP look bad and give Obama and company an excuse to pass it any way they can?

Well I certainly was not embracing his entire lifetime of writings, just this one that seems to be dead on and this comming from a very loyal Democrat.

I expect republican groups and people to say things I agree with, but when even the loyal liberal guys are saying Obama should start over, that to me is meaningful.

"CNN calls them 'teabaggers,' which is the gayest term I've ever heard on CNN - other than 'Anderson Cooper." ~ Ann Coulter

ImWithStupid said:
"CNN calls them 'teabaggers,' which is the gayest term I've ever heard on CNN - other than 'Anderson Cooper." ~ Ann Coulter

I heart Ann Coulter. She's a hottie, but I couldn't date somebody that much smarter than me! :p

ImWithStupid said:

That was funny as hell.

But consider just how bad Obama must have turned for even Cooper to turn away from what he is doing.

So did anyone change their mind about supporting the Democrat's method of healthcare reform based on the so called summit?

I have to say I mostly saw an Obama desperately trying to look for excuses to point fingers at the Republicans.

Yes, we need reform, but there are many, many ways to accomplish reform that does not require a massive tax and power grab like Obama is asking for.

I support several of the ideas Obama and other liberals have offered, but most of what they are doing is not needed, will not decrease costs, and will only further drive America into debt spending money we do not have.

IMHO

ImWithStupid said:
At less than 3% profit margin, it practically is not for profit.

True, and if we were to insert the natural way the Government runs things much worse than the private sector, then even though on paper it would look like people are getting it for 'free' they would actually make it cost more.

That is why it takes 15 months to get an MRI in Canada, the Government there ran out of money and the only way to keep things going was to scale back services.

Nothing worth having is free.

As long as healthcare is mainly paid for with other peoples' money it will be too expensive.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi urged her colleagues to back a major overhaul of U.S. health care even if it threatens their political careers, a call to arms that underscores the issue's massive role in this election year.

Lawmakers sometimes must enact policies that, even if unpopular at the moment, will help the public, Pelosi said in an interview being broadcast Sunday the ABC News program "This Week."
"We're not here just to self-perpetuate our service in Congress," she said. "We're here to do the job for the American people."

Um, let me get this straight, Nancy says they are there to do the job for the America people, and that her fellow elected officials should pass her idea of healthcare reform even if it means they will not get re-elected.....

But if the people respond to their actions by voting them out of office, does that not mean they were "NOT" working for the people in reality? The people would only react like that if you upset them and why would they get upset if you were 'representing' their possitions on these issues?

That is the problem though, our represenative style of Government has us voters putting people into office based on the lies the person told to us that we believed. Then in many cases the elected official ignores his/her constituants until just before it is time for re-election time then they will lie some more just to get votes again.

A lot of Americans are getting tired of this cycle.

timesjoke said:
Well even the polls in California show the majority there do not think she is doing a good job.
Maybe so, but most San Franciscans will have a hard time forcing their hand to mark an "X" for a Republican on their ballot. Maybe if someone as liberal/progressive as Nancy were to run she'd be hard pressed to get re-elected.

Old Salt said:
Maybe so, but most San Franciscans will have a hard time forcing their hand to mark an "X" for a Republican on their ballot. Maybe if someone as liberal/progressive as Nancy were to run she'd be hard pressed to get re-elected.

They were thinking the same thing for Massachusetts too.

Back