I'm a noob

builder said:
Eeeeernt. The coil generates a high enough voltage to generate the spark.

The signal generator? I have no ****ing idea what you are talking about there.

The magneto is simply a generator. All motors have them. Some are way better than others.

Some have a separate alternator, which is a magneto that generates alternating power, that must be converted to direct voltage through a regulator, to charge your battery, and fire up your coil.

I don't know the exact mechanics of how the the process works, but sportbikes(and most streetbikes for that matter) have the coils, a generator, an igniter and the signal generator. I'm sure it probably happens, but I've never heard of somebody having to replace either the generator or their signal generator on their bikes. I'm not bashing the mopar bikes, I think they're cool and they definately have their place. I'm just saying that Jap bikes are FAR from unreliabile...harley's on the other hand...well, they're not.

g_man500a said:
I don't know the exact mechanics of how the the process works, but sportbikes(and most streetbikes for that matter) have the coils, a generator, an igniter and the signal generator. I'm sure it probably happens, but I've never heard of somebody having to replace either the generator or their signal generator on their bikes. I'm not bashing the mopar bikes, I think they're cool and they definately have their place. I'm just saying that Jap bikes are FAR from unreliabile...harley's on the other hand...well, they're not.

I agree about the harleys. We call them hardly ridables.

The point is, the spark must come from somewhere. My first bike was a yamaha yz 80D. It had a coil, as do all internal combustion engines. But first, the motor must generate a power source, and that is the magneto or alternator. It is usually housed in the left side of the crankcase, in front of the gear lever.

I don't give a flying **** what configuration your bike is in, it still must have a power generation source. Either an internal magneto (common) or an external generator/alternator (uncommon, if not unknown).

Oh, and what the **** is a signal generator to you?

builder said:
I agree about the harleys. We call them hardly ridables.

The point is, the spark must come from somewhere. My first bike was a yamaha yz 80D. It had a coil, as do all internal combustion engines. But first, the motor must generate a power source, and that is the magneto or alternator. It is usually housed in the left side of the crankcase, in front of the gear lever.

I don't give a flying **** what configuration your bike is in, it still must have a power generation source. Either an internal magneto (common) or an external generator/alternator (uncommon, if not unknown).

Oh, and what the **** is a signal generator to you?

I beleive you are right about the spark having to come from somewhere, and the "generator" is about where you mentioned I beleive, so we are probably talking about the same thing. My point is that they don't go bad on sportbikes all the time like you are trying to imply.

About the signal generator, I'm not exactly sure but from looking at the schematic(I was looking at one when I gave those terms, so there a component called a signal generator on sportbikes), I'm guessing it has something to do with spark timing.

I'm not questioning the quality of the type of bike you choose to ride. Especially with your personal ride being a BMW, I'm sure it's an awesome machine. I'm trying to prove your idea of generators in sportbikes going out all the time, wrong.

slow50 said:
To this site anyway. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I have a couple friends here from previous sites that pissed me off.

Well the only thing you really need to know about this site is IM GODother than that. Have fun, mock the MODS cause they all suck **** and have fun. Welcome.

g_man500a said:
I beleive you are right about the spark having to come from somewhere, and the "generator" is about where you mentioned I beleive, so we are probably talking about the same thing. My point is that they don't go bad on sportbikes all the time like you are trying to imply.

About the signal generator, I'm not exactly sure but from looking at the schematic(I was looking at one when I gave those terms, so there a component called a signal generator on sportbikes), I'm guessing it has something to do with spark timing.

I'm not questioning the quality of the type of bike you choose to ride. Especially with your personal ride being a BMW, I'm sure it's an awesome machine. I'm trying to prove your idea of generators in sportbikes going out all the time, wrong.

Again, it's the reliability factor. I choose well-engineered products for that same reason. I've ridden hondas and yamahas, and I've settled on the best I can afford.

Rice-burners have come a long way in that department, and I know honda is leading in some areas of development, but I simply prefer stodgy reliability to the next big thing.

sixes said:
Well the only thing you really need to know about this site is I'm on PCP. So don't take anything I say seriously

Atta boy sixes. Nice intro speech fella. ;)

builder said:
Atta boy sixes. Nice intro speech fella. ;)

I could take PCP for the next five generations and not be as ****ed up as you Aussies! You are all just a product of English inbreeding.

sixes said:
I could take PCP for the next five generations and not be as ****ed up as you Aussies! You are all just a product of English inbreeding.

I'm Norwegian/Scottish.

You'd be Hispanic/Portuguese.

Back