I'm gonna save New Orleans.

Clogz

Loud and Proud
Well, not really. But I am going down to the city this Saturday with my youth group on a nine day missions trip to help clean up the 9th ward and put up (and maybe tear out) drywall in a couple houses. So if you don't hear from me for the next 11-12 days, don't fret...I'm alive.
Not only are we working in the 9th ward, but we are also staying in the city during our work days. I'm wondering if anyone else on the forums has gone to help with the relief effort for the city and other areas hit by Katrina...what were your experiences?

First I must say, people who got to New Orleans to help out are great people. I am so amazed to see all these people still coming down here to help out.. I haven't been able to help New Orleans much, seeing as my city is still fighting to get back of its feet.. But I know what it is like to drive through New Orleans, and see the damage first hand.. I mean I myself just moved back in my house at the beginning of June.. and my neighbors across the street, their daughter lost everything and is living in a trailor across the street from me.. There are trailors everywhere still..

But I do know what it is like, to tear up wet carpet, and cut and tear out drywall.. and its worse when it is your own house..

Some people may not realize how bad it still is in N.O. and it is awesome that you are helping out.. It means alot to me.. Because it makes me realize people really do care..

I live about 45 minutes from New Orleans.. and so this means alot.

Thanks..

P.S.
Sorry to ramble on about this.. but this stuff really means more to me than any of you can imagine, unless you have dealt with something like this.. and I know some one you must be tired of hearing about New Orleans, and the Gulf Coast, but we still need help.

I went down during my spring break to Mississippi to help out in Gulf Port. We went to NO to look around a bit and drove through the 9th Ward. I'm very suprised that they're trying to rebuild it. It hasn't changed much from when the water receeded, or atleast the parts that got hit the most. When you go down there, you will probably see what I mean.

Yeah, it was a very amazing trip.

We stayed at a church in Metairie on Power Blvd, and we worked in Metaire, the 9th Ward, and the other side of New Orleans/Slidell.

I saw alot of things that I have never seen before. We saw an abandoned Six Flags, we saw the lower 9th ward and drove by the new levee, I saw houses on cars, bikes in cars, ruined homes, and places where you could see a concrete foundation, but its house was gone. I saw buildings in downtown New Orleans with windows smashed in. I saw washed up boats shoved under highways.

But the joy, and unbelievable determination of the citizens of such a bueatiful city...that is what got me the most. The city is half destroyed and they are still there. That is more amazing then anything else I saw there.

If you get the chance, go. Nothing I have said describes what I saw down there...you have to see this for yourself.

I'm glad you got to go through this experience.. Because it is something people here will remember for the rest of their lives.

I totally agree with you, about the determination factor.. Everyone I know has been so driven to get back to normality.

And alot of people don't comprehend that fact that there are still boats and house lying all over the roads in some places.. This is something I see everyday of my life.

So did you actually come into Slidell, and if so which parts.. Because that is the city I live in.

http://reneworleans.net/

I have hundreds of these shirts in a big cardboard box. Apparently, people don't like buying stuff while simultaneously giving to a greater cause. People would rather just donate to the Red Cross.

BTW, I suggest you NOT donate to the Red Cross or any big association like that. There are PLENTY of local charities you can donate money and/or supplies to which will get to the people that need it at least 3X faster than the Red Cross ever will. Do you think the Red Cross offices are run by volunteers? No, a percentage of your donation goes to people that you don't intend to give to. And what do you get in return? A cheap, and automated thank you note. DONATE LOCAL. You think that they don't have the power to get the right supplies, transportation, and initiative to get things done. Nooo, MISSION TRIP PARTICIPANTS (yay, relates back to topic) understand that in a situation like this, DIY techniques will prevail.

But anyway, if you're not going to donate at all, I guess you can donate to the RC...

Victim said:
I'm glad you got to go through this experience.. Because it is something people here will remember for the rest of their lives.

I totally agree with you, about the determination factor.. Everyone I know has been so driven to get back to normality.

And alot of people don't comprehend that fact that there are still boats and house lying all over the roads in some places.. This is something I see everyday of my life.

So did you actually come into Slidell, and if so which parts.. Because that is the city I live in.

Well, thats the thing. I wasn't sure if it was Eastern New Orleans....when we pulled off the interstate the exit said Slidell was a few miles away...and we did go outside the main city. But it fcould have still been Eastern New Orleans.
It was a nice subdivision...lots of good homes. And there was a boat in the midddle of the road.

We did drive through Slidell though, when we left New Orleans for Nashville.

You might have got through Eden Isles then.. Because its a really nice subdivision and there is still alot of boats in the road there.. I got back there alot, because I know so many people who live back there..

Back