Is America a Christian nation?

I suppose the founding fathers were prodominently christian, but also masons so that it actually a tough call LOL I think most countries have a kind of unifying religion as part of it's culture and I think a lot of people want that here in the states as a way to unify the people but no I don't think it can really be called "Christian nation" unless you live in the bible belt. Hell if you are in LA I think you would p[ercieve it as the "Kabala" state

DID YOU KNOW? As you walk up the steps to the building which houses the U.S. Supreme Court you can see near the top of the building a row of the world's law givers and each one is facing one in the middle who is facing forward with a full frontal view ... it is Moses and he is holding the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

As you enter the Supreme Court courtroom, the two huge oak doors have the Ten Commandments engraved on each lower portion of each door.

DID YOU KNOW?

As you sit inside the courtroom, you can see the wall,
right above where the Supreme Court judges sit,
a display of the Ten Commandments!

DID YOU KNOW?

There are Bible verses etched in stone all over the Federal Buildings and Monuments in Washington, D.C.

DID YOU KNOW?

James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement:

"We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

DID YOU KNOW?

Patrick Henry, that patriot and Founding Father of our country said:

"It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded not by religionists but by Christians, not on religions but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ".

DID YOU KNOW?

Every session of Congress begins with a prayer by a paid preacher, whose salary has been paid by the taxpayer since 1777.

DID YOU KNOW?

Fifty-two of the 55 founders of the Constitution were members of the established orthodox churches in the colonies.

DID YOU KNOW?

Thomas Jefferson worried that the Courts would overstep their authority and instead of interpreting the law would begin making law . an oligarchy .

the rule of few over many.

DID YOU KNOW?

The very first Supreme Court Justice, John Jay, said:

"Americans should select and prefer Christians as their rulers."

Ya and if you read the ten camandments they aren't exactly a BAD guide for life and in fact do look a bit like early laws not to mention curent ones. This country was created pretty much becuse people wanted the right to worship as they chose, and it just so happened that they chose christianity. It also happens that our country was created with room to grow and change and it has

No. It's actually explicitly stated as law.

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Signed by John Adams and unanimously approved by Congress in 1796.
http://www.stephenjaygould.org/ctrl/treaty_tripoli.html

No, most definately not! However, with that said it is a Western (/European-style) nation which has been heavily influenced by Christianity. Even though I'm an Atheist, I'm OK with this Christian influence, as long as Christians don't try to force their beliefs onto those that don't desire to follow their beliefs. The United States is a Western nation, which may have taken much of its guidance from religion, but the US is NOT a Christian country.

OK so how about capitalist nation that justifies it's actions with christian ideology

phreakwars said:
Well ?? Is it ??
Phreak why do you start such threads? Really ????????

NO it is a stupid nation of sheep! Unfortunately 51% of the Sheep appeared to have voted >>>OR DID THEY ? :D :

tizz said:
OK so how about capitalist nation that justifies it's actions with christian ideology

I think this says it just about right. America has a long history of using biblical ideology to promote legislation.

8 mecos said:
Phreak why do you start such threads? Really ????????

It was suggested to me by a member of another forum I frequent.

Its interesting to hear some of the responses to say the least... cept from tizz..she rambles on too much... but anyway..

I believe we ARE a Christian nation, but we are just in denial.

The problem is, the ones in denial, are the ones who "TRY" to believe there is a real separation of church and state.

I would take a close guess that 99% of our laws in this country have some sort of Christian roots.. And I'm not talking about the 10 commandments on buildings.. I am talking about the WELFARE SYSTEM, the BUSINESS ETHICS, EVERYTHING.. Even the alleged atheist usually will agree on principals of law that are CHRISTIAN oriented simply because they feel it is the "UNIVERSAL RIGHT THING TO DO" when it comes to laws of the land, and laws to the people.

This passes down to even LOCAL CITY ORDINANCES in our respective states.

I bet each and every one of you who posts here have some local city ordinance that was all started because of a "HOLIER THEN THOU" Christian based group who opposed some form of self expression.

An example of this would be in MY TOWN..... The main bitch and debate around here is concerning alcohol in our parks during softball games.

Those who are opposed (and Led_Zep_SX can verify this) are nothing but a bunch of CHURCH GOSSIPING CRYBABYS who have nothing better to do then bitch about something that someone else does... so they simply group tegether over coffee and demand the city create an ordinance against it..

This chain of "HOLIER THEN THOU" attitude shows not only in the city, but in the way people VOTE at the polls.

Too me, you can't excape it.... its this same "OH BRING ME TO THE LORD" self rightousness that was thrown at the American people round election day that made decent Christians IGNORANT to manipulations done by a well spun political team... topped off by a slide of hand name calling war to make us EVEN DUMBER yet and one sided... makes me sick personally....

Then there is the misconception by insurgents who HATE Americans, and Americans back lash response to this is.... I HATE MUSLIMS....making the USA appear more CHRISTIAN ORIENTED in our demeanor..

That's HOLY WARFARE !!!

I can accept the fact that a majority of Americans are dumb enough to fall into the "GREAT WHITE GOD" political campaign, it just stupifys me though, that America will let itself fall into the "GREAT WHITE GOD" will defeat terrorist who believe in a "DIFFERENT" god then me category.

Look how many COMPLETE ****ING IDIOTS say STUPID **** like "**** YOU AND YOUR SHEEP GOD ALLAH" and other such nonsense..

Thats implying a completly different GOD in a completely different religion...

CHRISTIAN IGNORANCE, AND UTTER STUPIDITY !!!! CLASSIC BUSH MIND SET.

I bet each and every one of you who posts here have some local city ordinance that was all started because of a "holier than thou" christian based group who opposed some form of self expression

Dancers in strip clubs must wear pasties over their nipples inside Indianapolis. Dancers can be charged with exposure and lewd conduct for showing some nipple. Thanks to that x-tian backed law I can see more T&A at Indiana beach.

Hey Imay ramble but it is very true that religious ideals are used to justify actions (right or wrong) all over the world. Bush does it as does just about every "evil doer" he speaks of. It s not the political ideology that justifies everything but the religious.

So there!!!!

I think it is ok to borrow from religion but not to allow any one church to actually attain political power. It is wrong to kill, it is generally considered wrong to commit adultery blah blah blah, now as long as no one church controls govt, isn't it ok to borrow certain ideals?

This country was most definately founded by DEISTS.... what particular diety they worshipped is almost inconsequential... We have a documented history, at least untill recently, of a cemented separation of church and state... But that doesn't mean that a belief in a god doesn't influence our decision making... it just means that we cannot enact any laws that favor any particular religion... But in the end, men are making the decisions, and men are sometimes religious.... to think that any religious man could separate himslef from his beliefs while making major decisions is a bit silly... Xtians tend to vote for Xtians for that reason and so on.... I'm just waiting for a Satanist to step onto the ballots.... Then maybe I can vote... till then... I have to vote for the guy that most closely represents my beliefs... which tends to be a Xtian... :)

phreakwars said:
I believe we ARE a Christian nation, but we are just in denial.
I would take a close guess that 99% of our laws in this country have some sort of Christian roots.. And I'm not talking about the 10 commandments on buildings.. I am talking about the WELFARE SYSTEM, the BUSINESS ETHICS, EVERYTHING.. Even the alleged atheist usually will agree on principals of law that are CHRISTIAN oriented simply because they feel it is the "UNIVERSAL RIGHT THING TO DO" when it comes to laws of the land, and laws to the people.

A lot of religion is just commonsense right and wrong, just like law. It makes sense that the two would coincide. Our nation is one of the wealthiest in the world because of our business ethics, property laws, and similar concepts. We benefit from these laws.

phreakwars said:
This passes down to even LOCAL CITY ORDINANCES in our respective states.

I bet each and every one of you who posts here have some local city ordinance that was all started because of a "HOLIER THEN THOU" Christian based group who opposed some form of self expression.

An example of this would be in MY TOWN..... The main bitch and debate around here is concerning alcohol in our parks during softball games.

Those who are opposed (and Led_Zep_SX can verify this) are nothing but a bunch of CHURCH GOSSIPING CRYBABYS who have nothing better to do then bitch about something that someone else does... so they simply group tegether over coffee and demand the city create an ordinance against it..

This chain of "HOLIER THEN THOU" attitude shows not only in the city, but in the way people VOTE at the polls.
Generally there has to be a majority vote and a viable complaint for any ordinance to get passed. I don

Lot's of time wasted arguing over if it's ok to, and or where to post the ten commandment's, and not enough time spent following them. Funny thing is that a lot of those who whine the loudest about not being able to post them don't seem to believe IN them, for example # 6.

It is illegal for male strippers to strip past a thong, and it has been for a long time. I don't see anyone get up in arms about the law. Why do you think there is such a double standard? Is it beacuse woman are less valued and people don't care what they do?

Well, in all fairness, in areas that do not allow men to show their penis' often don't allow women to show their vagina either. I do get what your saying but I think it is because women are more valued, financialy. Male review shows are a bit different then these dime -a-dozen 'tity bars'. Simply, there is alot more money to be made by selling women.

The only thing making it a christian are all these asshole bible thumpers who think it's their place to ass their anal rententive laws, practices and morals on the rest of us.

Also, women don't NEED to see teh penis we have imagination, and we also need more than a man twirling around a metal bar. We demand entertainment as well. LOL we need to be able to laugh at ourselves as well as teh chipendale's

Back