Lets talk skidplates

n00b here, so pardon the ignorant question, but I am trying to garner all the knowledge I can before I **** something up...

I see a lot of guys complaining about their skids coming loose. Have you guys tried using red Locktite, or has it proven ineffective?

I realize it's a steel frame but it's the hardware I'm worried about. I wouldnt use red on em. If you absolutely need to use a locking agent start with the lightest (or most appropriate) stage.

OK, blue then. So I assume that no one has really attempted using Locktite? Seems like a simple solution to me.

Was running a pro armor 1/4" but took it off, kept bending into sprocket and I'm tired of straightening it. Stock one is back on. FWIW I used blue(medium) loctite on the bolts when I first installed the skidplate and never had one of them loosen up. I'd be afraid of using red, bolts may not want to come out. JM$.02

I run all prm skid plates and in the rear I run the 1/4 " thick skid plate. They seem to hold up really well to Pennsylvania pebbles(lots of rock here)

I also had a Pro Armor swinger skid. I beat that thing to heck. Was always straightening it, until it finally cracked and busted. I cut a bunch of gussets out of 1/4" and brought it to a buddy of mine who welds a lot more aluminum than I do and had him tig it all back together with the extra gussets. It wasn't long after that that I removed it for the last time due to all the cracks and breakage. I ended up buying a DG Laser Series skid that is made out of stainless, but not very thick stainless. The Laser skid fits like crap. All the mounting holes are on the same plane, but as you guys know they are at different heights so I had to make some spacers for it to bolt up properly. And yes it is for a TRX450R as that is laser cut into the skid plate lol. Anyway, It fell off during a ride and I never put it back on. It held up ok, but the plate bent and flexed too much and the sprocket chewed through the UHMW chain slider and ripped the rivet off so I have to reattach that, granted I was running a 42 tooth rear sprocket. Long story short, I would like to make a new skid out of 1/4" stainless. That is the only thing that will hold up to abuse without bending and cracking, it won't gouge like aluminum, it won't rust, and I can make it myself.

Here is what I run. I have the armadillo swing arm from RM. Then, there is a guy from where I live that custom makes poly skids (multiple colors). So far it has been proven its self. I love it!!! It took about 20 minutes to bolt on and have had zero problems with it. I live in Nevada so I know the terrain you're talking about. If you would like I can get you the guys name and number and send you some pictures of what it looks like. Just send me you email.

Here is what I run. I have the armadillo swing arm from RM. Then, there is a guy from where I live that custom makes poly skids (multiple colors). So far it has been proven its self. I love it!!! It took about 20 minutes to bolt on and have had zero problems with it. I live in Nevada so I know the terrain you're talking about. If you would like I can get you the guys name and number and send you some pictures of what it looks like. Just send me you email.
ill post some pics of some quads from this past 1000. i want to make sure we get the best posible to ensure well make it to the end..

Back