Motor Building Secrets

Morgan

So inspite of being knee-deep in work right now I thought I would jump on here and ask you guys a few questions. Who here would be interested in learning some more about building motors and learning new things about how to set deck height, clay checking, cam timing, etc.

We had a couple customers recently complain about our CNC head, but neither could tell me where the deck height was set, where the cam timing was set at, where the ignition timing was, NOTHING! Bugs me beyond belief. I walked one guy through all the small details that all add up when building a motor and guess what, motor went from 56 to 62 as a stockbore.

Motors are all about components used, and how they work together, the numbers will always reflect that.

beginner here. Has some tools and can borrow some technical tools. I'm down! heavy pics and tech write ups should do the trick for us.

If this is not a place for a beginner to learn.... i'll donate my bike and i'll wait to have it returned here with some love done to it :)

Morgan has been VERY busy lately. Im sure when he gets some free time he will chime in here and post up.

Lots to learn from someone who makes tons of power out of the Hondas and other machines.

Finally had a little time to get some of this together for you guys. This motor is for one of my QuadCross Pro riders that we just finished up, so here goes...

Disclaimer: The deck height was already set on this motor before I remembered to have someone take pics as it went together, so I put a couple base gaskets back under the cylinder to simulate an incorrect deck height.

Setting the deck height: Install the base gasket with the alignment dowels on the cases, and install the piston onto the rod. Next, slide the cylinder on, rings are not needed at this point. I use a couple old wrist pins to tighten the cylinder down to ensure that the cylinder is nice and flat.

Attachments

• IMAG0238.jpg
    IMAG0238.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 99
Next, take out the timing plug on the clutch side cover (10mm allen head) and you will be looking for a punch mark on the crank gear. Rotate the crank with an 8mm allen to align the punch mark with the arrow on the side cover.

Attachments

• IMAG0237.jpg
    IMAG0237.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 46
Back