Movie previews misrepresenting the MOVIE

DizzyME

I have HAD it with companies misrepresenting their movies in previews. I went to see a movie tonight that I HOPED would be at least somewhat decent. The beginning of the movie was fine, it started slow, but I assumed that was the "build-up" to the story. Well, when they got to the main part and I was pissed. The storyline was nothing like what it was made out to be. Perhaps my friends and I just all had the wrong idea about the storyline. Okay. Well, if that was the case, I would have been fine with it if the movie hadn't been a totally PREDICTABLE piece of trash! The movie I saw tonight was portrayed as a thriller. I actually thought it was going have some aspect of either the supernatural or some cool evil twist. I was wrong. The storyline was so ****ing DONE.

Enough bitching about this specific movie. Haven't you noticed that movie companies are making like three different previews now to appeal to different groups? I think the ones I have the biggest problem with is when they take a dramatic movie and show a preview that makes it look like a comedy. WTF is up with that?

I think the best case of this is that one with Jim Carrey.. Bruce Almighty... it ****ing SUCKED, the only funny parts were the commercial promos for it, otherwise it stunk.

phreakwars said:
I think the best case of this is that one with Jim Carrey.. Bruce Almighty... it ****ing SUCKED, the only funny parts were the commercial promos for it, otherwise it stunk.

Excellent example, I totally agree. The further into the movie it got, the less funny it was...

I always hate it when you go to see a movie and all of the best parts are in the commercials. They pull that **** with a lot of comedys, you get about one minute of actual comedy and about eighty-nine looking at your watch.

Comidies and Thiller/Horror movies. But what about this..Have you ever seen previews that don't do some movies justice? LIke "Saw," I don't know if any of you saw the previews for that one, but it looked ****ing stupid. When we went and saw it, it was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. But, yeah, comidies are HORRIBLE about doing this. You always think you're going to see a funny movie, you get there, and you end up laughing no more than you did when you watched the previews. :(

I agree...comedies always seem funnier on previews. You get the movie get ready to laugh so hard your guts hurt but most the time you get a giggle out. It blows so i try to get opinions from friends and family before i even attempt to rent the movie

The only comedies I've EVER seen that were funnier than the previews--and hadn't had the best lines spoiled by seeing them AGAIN and AGAIN on TV--were the Shrek movies, particularly the second one. Most comedies have one or two moments and that's it--so they put those in the commercial. By the time you see the movie, it's not even funny anymore, and that's all there WAS. If they surprised you at the theatre, you might like the movie, but it's been ruined and becomes a waste of money. Shrek 2 on the other hand had scores of priceless moments, so even if they had put the best lines in the commercials (which they didn't until the DVD release) it would have been good ANYWAY. This is an issue that pisses me off every time I see a trailer, so thanks for bringing it up. When there's no special effects to beef up the interest, and no reason to see it with Theatre Sound (i.e. LOTR) then what's the damn point? To steal our money. Which they do. Time and again. Bastards.

Master And Commander. I just can't get over how much I was dissapointed in that movie. It was made out as a movie of epic proportions, and when I saw it, it seemed more like a pile of my mother's pasty potatoes than the jacket potato it was meant to be. People have tried to make me accept it for what it was. I can't. The only scene with a woman in it-- every hero has a woman, right?-- was a single shot, fifteen seconds long. Now, I tried to get over that it was a movie about friendship. But I couldn't, and can't.
Pfft.
-Ruse

actually, I must concede that there was a couple movies I underestimated upon seeing the trailers. I immediately jumped to the notion that, "oh, these have typical "comedy" black actors, so the movie's gonna suck," or "oh, this is a stupid punk kid that tries to sound funny."

On both occasions I was wrong. The actually movies exceeded my expectations.

1) Bringin' Down the House (Queen LaTifa (sp) & Steve Martin)
2) Guess Who? (Which I NEVER thought I'd like, especially with Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac)

//edit//
Actually, maybe I just expected the movies to be so bad that I enjoyed them?

I've found that it's best to know next to nothing about the movie that you're going to see, that way you aren't influenced by commercials making a movie seem one way or another. Just the basic idea of what the movie is about and that's it.

cynthiaa89 said:
I agree about "Guess Who." That movie looked funny and all on the previews, but it was 10 times funnier than I expected.

All I heard was about how trashy it was compared to the original. I may watch it when it comes on television, but I can't imagine wasting money to rent it...

Guess who was actually funny. I bought it only because my hubby like comedy and i am collecting DVDs while he is gone.
I laughed more then i thought.....B+

Back