MSN Messenger Conversation Monitors! O_O

spike91232004

Ok, I am worried that my mom is invading my privacy by putting types of programs like this on my computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find out? Or prevent this?

They have two other computers and I checked to see if any unusual programs were installed on there that would link to mine. But found nothing yet.

My friend told me about a program he uses and if a another computer is trying to look at your conversations instead of getting "Yeah, lets go eat pie" you would get like "dfjlasfjsdl34t4ltjl".

Ok, I worry about everything and have always worried about this.

Does anyone else on here have stupid ass parents who invade their privacy by doing this?

No one has privacy anymore..no one....>_<

Try hitting Ctrl + Alt + Delete and then going to Task Manager
Look through the different running tasks and see if you see anything unusual or anything that shouldnt be running. If you do see something, close it, although make sure the process isnt being run by SYSTEM or something that is important to the system.

Hmm...

Offhand, with the knowledge I have, I will tell you this. shadowfax1007 had a great suggestion: use the Task Manager. Some keyloggers and spy software can be found in the Task Manager; some can't. What's nice about Windows XP (I'm assuming that you do use XP) is that you can quit most processes in Task Manager without throwing your computer into chaos, like in Windows 98 or ME.

So my suggestion is this: go into the Task Manager and start closing ****. Avoid anything called SVCHOST.EXE, EXPLORER.EXE, LSASS.EXE, SERVICES.EXE, WINLOGON.EXE, CSRSS.EXE, SMSS.EXE, System, or System Idle Process. Most anything else you should be able to close without any problems. Look for suspicious names, like random gibberish or "FUN.EXE".

Another thing you might want to try is to look in the Add/Remove Programs section of the Control Panel. You might find a program stupid enough to put an entry there. Searching the registry for "keylog" and other applicable terms might be a good idea as well.

Thanks guys!

On my CTRL ALT DELETE all I ever see is what I'm actually doing..

MSN, AIM, Internet Explorere, Bearshare etc.

I just did a complete look at all the programs on my mom and step dads computer and only came across one unusual thing called "Data Migration" I don't think that is like to monitor my computer though.

spike91232004 said:
Thanks guys!

On my CTRL ALT DELETE all I ever see is what I'm actually doing..

I forget to mention, once you go into Task Manager, go to Processes :thumbsup:

Like Agent and I have both said, dont close any of the System processes.

I could careless if my mom knows what I talk about on the internet. I tell her what I am doing 80% of the time anyway. What can she do about it really? If she bans me from the computer at home, well hell there is always the public library and the school. My mom knows exactly what kind of things I talk about and she doesn't really care. She knows she can't do anything to change who I am or what I do.

Mine don't really care what I'm talking about. They respect my privacy, thank god. Plus, I have my own computer, so I don't have to worry about them installing **** on it.

But how to get rid of some program, or find one, I can't help you.

if i say something about what im talkin about. my mom shows a very scary interest. its more im on ur shoulder now... im not elaving LOL

spike91232004 said:
I just did a complete look at all the programs on my mom and step dads computer and only came across one unusual thing called "Data Migration" I don't think that is like to monitor my computer though.

I believe there is a Windows XP service that provides data migration functions, so that's probably why you saw that. I believe there actually is a service on XP Home called "Data Migration". I'm not sure at the moment because I'm on my laptop at school, and it has XP Corporate.

This is odd.....

I was going to a folder to find a file, and i accidentally clicked on "Network Connections" teh folder popped up and showed like 6 icons for like a split couple seconds. One of them I think had something to do with my step dads computer, since it said "Alienware...???" and his is an Alienware. After that it just went to my internet connections (Like my Ethernet Wireless Adapter) so I am not sure wtf that was. Now I'm all worried they have been spying on me. I just think it's not right to do that crap.

Tomorrow i am going to check in their Network Connections.

spike91232004 said:
This is odd.....

I was going to a folder to find a file, and i accidentally clicked on "Network Connections" teh folder popped up and showed like 6 icons for like a split couple seconds. One of them I think had something to do with my step dads computer, since it said "Alienware...???" and his is an Alienware. After that it just went to my internet connections (Like my Ethernet Wireless Adapter) so I am not sure wtf that was. Now I'm all worried they have been spying on me. I just think it's not right to do that crap.

Tomorrow i am going to check in their Network Connections.

That Network Connections is nothing to worry about, thats just displaying the other computer(s) that are apart of your home network, although, mind you, they will be able to view your harddrives contents if you dont have any network permisions set, but they wont be able to just read your msn convo's unless you save your conversations.

There is no worries, unless ur sharing ur whole harddisk ^.^ However that does mean the computers can talk to each other so it is possible for them to spy on you fairly easily.

I set my Windows Firewall to on. So I don't know how they could get in. I have Nortons working and that detects when I have intrudors. So I am safe.

spike91232004 said:
I set my Windows Firewall to on. So I don't know how they could get in. I have Nortons working and that detects when I have intrudors. So I am safe.

yes, but Nortons and Windows Firewall wont pick up your parents as intruders because they are apart of your network.

Of course they will........ The internet is a network just a very big one, a network is like the internet but smaller so the percautions taken have the be the same, unless you set up your firewalls to allow their IP's and even if something was broadcasting without your permission wheter or not your parents are allowed access the Firewall should still stop it.

Back