My Ice Tire Story

I don't run a sway bar. I had an opportunity to buy one for cheap, and passed on it. I can hang with most the guys, but I don't bother racing competitively. The ice around here has been too iffy the last few years to put that kind of time into it. hell, tomorrow and tuesday they're calling for mid 50's and THUNDERSTORMS!

Here is a little clip of me rockin' a wheelie through the gears yesterday.
[video=youtube;FILa1-qWyg8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FILa1-qWyg8&feature[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FILa1-qWyg8&feature=youtu.be

I picked up my durablue swaybar for $75 shipped... Tires and studs are the big investment for me.

Last weekend was the first time I went out on the ice and there's still some places I wouldn't trust. I figure 4-6 more weekends and its over.. The short season is another reason I haven't bought the tires I want. 40's and rain mid week here.

I manage to get around pretty well with out a sway bar, but I wouldn't mind getting one.

Today was a bad day for the R. Not sure exactly what happened, but 10 mins into riding today I cracked a wheelie and when I came down it shut down and would not start again. The good news is I still have oil and compression. I'm hoping it's just a plug. I will find out this week when I get a chance to look at it.

Yeah Me too. If it's something serious, it will be put on the back burner and I will buy a 4x4. I love the quad to death, but the little that I actually get to ride it I don't want to sink more money into it.

I bought a new plug today. Not a bad price either @ 17$. Hell, the last one I bought was like $40!. I have it on the tender, I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and see how it goes. I think I'm leaning towards selling it. Just had a buddy decide to put up his 2007 Honda Rincon 680 today!

Get the can-am Renagade...

Yeah they are a bad ass looking quad, and their performance is insane, but I hear they are piles of junk. Can-am's frames are weak, and have been recalled I believe. My buddy has an outlander and it's always breaking down. If the price tag wasn't so damn high, and they didn't have the issues I hear they have I would consider it. I like the reliability of a Honda. The Rincon rides so damn smooth, and is torquey as all hell. I read their 4x4 isn't the best though .. and they have tranny issues. If i can get it from my buddy for a good enough price, I may pop on it. 2007 Rincon 680, camo, rear rack seat. 1300 miles. He's asking $5800 OBO. I'm going to see if he will sell it to me for cheaper than that.

Well... Fresh plug in the quad and it's not starting. I have compression, I'm getting fuel.. but I never checked for spark. I was thinking it might be my tether, so I took it out of the equation and still nothing. I'm goin to let it sit over night and dry out, and tomorrow evening I will check for spark and then if I have spark try again. When I wired in my tether, I didn't cut the wires, but took it out of the plug instead incase something like this happens.

Joy.

I want to give a big thank you to Baileyguns!

I didn't get the quad running, but he took time out of his day to share some information with me.

While in the process of checking my valves, I realized a bunch of brass shavings sitting on the head. I didn't bother going any further with it, nor did I bother taking the oil filter out and check it. I saw enough shavings to know.. Looks like the R is going to be seeing a lot of garage time while I save cash for a 4x4.

Tell me about it. If I get out of work early enough tomorrow and have the energy, I might rip the motor out and get it on the bench. I figure while I'm at it, mine as well throw another piston in it and send the head out to get some work done, new valves and port work.

I don't know for sure, but I do know that no one wants to buy a 450 with a bad motor..

I figure I mine as well put some time into it and get it how I want it. I'm so on the fence about if I really want to sell it or not.

Ironically enough, someone text me today about it. The ad is still up on Craigslist. I told him the deal, and that I would part with it for $3500 not running. Told him what was wrong with it. He actually might come pick it up.

I have a few different routes I could go.

Sell it outright not running
Part it out
Tear into it, rebuild it, make it faster.

I really like the last option, because I get so much enjoyment out of it when I actually get to ride it, but the problem is I never have time to ride it or a local spot any more.

Usually with a bike that doesn't run you will make more money parting it out... It's a lot of work tho.
Sounds like you caught it soon enough that there shouldn't be too much carnage in there so a rebuild might not be that bad...

If it makes you feel better, I blew up a bearing carrier yesterday... :gr_nod:

Back